This Mango Chutney recipe is packed with flavor from fresh mangos, onion, bell pepper and spices. Enjoy it with sweet or savory dishes, or with a side of Naan.
Whenever we venture out for Indian food (which happens as often as possible!) I always order Mango Chutney to go with our meal. The last time we ate out, I knew I wanted to recreate some for you all, because it’s one of my favorite condiments! We enjoy it most served on grilled pork tenderloin or chicken, a scoop added to chicken salad, or with tikka masala and naan. It’s so easy to make and versatile and the homemade version can’t be beat!
What is a Chutney?
A chutney is a delicious spicy condiment that originated in India. It is made with vinegar, sugar, spices, and fruits or vegetables. This mango chutney is used for both sweet and savory dishes.
I try to find champagne mangos for chutney, because of their extra smooth velvety texture, but you can really use any type of mango!
How to make Mango Chutney:
- Sauté onion and bell pepper in a stockpot with oil. Add ginger, garlic, and spices.
- Add diced mangoes, sugar, and vinegar.
- Simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Mash with a potato masher for a smoother consistency (optional).
How to use it:
- Served with Meat dishes (chicken, lamb, pork).
- Thin it to glaze chicken or as a marinade.
- Over Brie or cream cheese, with crackers just like we do with our Jalapeño pepper jelly.
- Add a scoop to chicken salad for sandwiches.
- Dipping sauce.
- Spread in sandwiches.
- On homemade bread or naan.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions
To Make Ahead: Mango Chutney can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
To Freeze: Store in a freezer safe container in the freezer for 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger , finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup red onion , finely chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper , finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chili , seeds and veins removed OR ¼ to ½ teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large mangoes , peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- Dice the mangos (here’s my resource for how to cut a mango).
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a medium stock pot. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes and cook for a minute. Add curry powder and salt and sauté for another minute. Add the diced mangoes, sugar, and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes to 1 hour. Optional, Mash mixture with a potato masher if you like a smoother consistency. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.