This Instant Pot Spaghetti recipe just may become your new favorite dinner to make in the pressure cooker! Spaghetti is everyone’s favorite comfort food and this instant pot version makes it even faster and easier! The flavor is amazing!
So, my family may never let me make spaghetti again, thanks to the many rounds of recipe testing that went into this post. They’ve had their fair share of it over the past weeks, as I’ve worked to get the recipe right.
Me, on the other hand, I don’t think I could ever get sick of spaghetti!
There are many instant pot spaghetti recipes online that call for a jar of pasta sauce. That’s great for anyone in a huge time crunch, but I knew I could make the dish taste so much better, and fresher, making the sauce from scratch, which is really fast since I can brown the meat and make the sauce right in my instant pot.
My first attempted was not great–the sauce was bland and the noodles were overcooked.
I’ve found there’s a happy medium you need to find when pasta, or rice, in the instant pot. You want it to be tender and delicious, you really want to avoid mushy-ness, and you want the flavor to be good. I also don’t like it when the noodles or rice all “gloop” together.
I feel like I’ve found the perfect balance with this recipe: a cooking time that yields perfectly tender pasta, and a sauce that’s full of flavor.
The combination of both ground beef and Italian sausage is so good, and the sauce is seasoned wonderfully. I was making “mmmmmm” sounds with every bite!
How to make instant pot spaghetti:
- Set the Instant pot to saute, and cook meat.
- Drain grease. Add onions and spices.
- Break the pasta in half and place on top.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste together. Pour over noodles.
- Add water.
- Close Instant pot lid and cook on Manual for 5 minutes.
- Allow 5 minutes natural release, and then turn valve to quick release.
Top your bowl of spaghetti with a handful of fresh parmesan and parsley. I always add a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes, too, because I love the extra “kick” the give.
Consider serving with:
Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Pressure Cooker
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground Italian sausage
- salt , pepper,
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves , chopped (2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder , sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese , for topping
- fresh parsley leaves , chopped, for garnish
- crushed red pepper flakes , optional, for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the ground beef and sausage, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook the meat, breaking the meat up into pieces until it’s browned. Drain grease.
- (At this point I like to put the meat in my food processor and pulse it 2-3 times to break it up into very small pieces. I think it makes the sauce smoother and yummier. Then add it back to the IP. This step is completely optional).
- Add onion to the pot and cook until tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, garlic powder, sugar, Italian seasonings, red wine vinegar.
- Turn the Instant Pot off.
- Break the spaghetti noodles in half and place on top of meat mixture.
- Stir together the crushed tomato and tomato paste and pour over the noodles.
- Add water.
- Push the spaghetti down with a spoon if necessary to make they are submerged.
- Seal the instant pot and set it to manual mode, high pressure, 5 minutes cooking time.
- When the time is up, allow pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release. I place a towel over the quick release spout to catch the steam.
- Open IP and gently toss everything together.
- Serve warm topped with fresh parmesan, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh chopped parsley.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience