Instant Pot Cajun Pasta is made with andouille or kielbasa sausage, vegetables, and pasta. It’s another all-in-one instant pot pasta recipe that my family loves!
Instant Pot Cajun Pasta
I get so excited every time I successfully create an instant pot recipe that’s a “dump it and forget it” type of dinner! These type of meals are what I love to use my instant pot for the most, but I’m really picky that the end result has to taste just as good as if I took the time to make it in a skillet on the stove.
For this easy instant pot pasta recipe you simple sauté the veggies and sausages in the bottom of the pot first, and then add the liquid and dry pasta. In one click of a button you have a delicious meal ready to go, and only one dish to wash!
How to make Instant Pot Cajun Pasta in 8 Steps:
- Prepare your ingredients. Chop the vegetables and sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté and cook the sausage, bell peppers, celery and onion in a little bit of oil, and then add cajun seasoning and garlic.
- Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Add chicken broth, milk, and dry pasta. Make sure to press down the pasta to submerge it in the liquid.
- Cook on high pressure (manual)n for 4 minutes.
- Quick release. Start slowly and then fully release the pressure. Give the pasta a gentle stir.
- Turn the IP pot to Sauté. Stir in the parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Add cornstarch and milk that have been stirred together. Stir it gently until the sauce starts to thicken.
Can I double this recipe?
- Yes, you can double this instant pot pasta recipe by doubling ALL of the ingredients, including the pasta and liquid! The cook time will STAY THE SAME. You will notice your pot will take a little longer to come to pressure because of the higher volume of ingredients inside.
Ways to Adapt this Recipe:
- Add or substitute different kinds of meat. Chicken would work if you cut it into bite-size pieces first (you can sauté it in the pot, just like the sausage, but don’t cook it all the way through.) Ground turkey, sautéed at the beginning, or different type of sausages would also work. Use what you have.
- Add more vegetables. I like to add seasonal vegetables to this dish as well, like zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, and peas. I think it tastes best to sauté additional vegetables in the pot at the beginning, until tender, and then remove them to a plate and stir them at the very end, after the Instant Pot has finished cooking. That way you avoid them being overcooked and mushy.
You really don’t need a side dish with this instant pot pasta, but if you’d like to stretch it to feed more people you could serve it with a big green salad and crusty bread.
Don’t Have an Instant Pot? Make it on the stove!
Heat the oil in a large pan on the stove. Add the sausage and veggies and sauté. Add the seasonings. Add the dry pasta, chicken broth and milk but add an extra 1 cup of chicken broth, and an extra 1/2 cup of milk. Bring to a gentle boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once or twice during this time. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese, parsley and cornstarch slurry. Cook just until sauce begins to thicken.
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? SOME OF MY FAVORITES INCLUDE:
Instant Pot Cajun Pasta
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces smoked andouille sausages , cut into small rounds*
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 bell pepper , chopped
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 3 green onions , chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 - 3 teaspoons cajun seasoning , to taste
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk , divided
- 8 ounces farfalle pasta (or your favorite type)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley , for garnish
- Turn IP to Saute. Add olive oil to pot. Add sausage and brown on both sides.
- Push the meat to the side and add the chopped bell peppers, celery and onion and saute 1 minute.
- Add garlic and cajun seasoning.
- Turn IP OFF.
- Add chicken broth, ¾ cup of the milk, and dry pasta, pressing the pasta down to submerge it.
- Cook on high pressure (manual for 4 minutes).
- When timer beeps, turn the valve to quick release the pressure/steam. Start slowly to be sure only steam comes out, and then fully release it.
- Remove lid and give the pasta a gentle stir. Turn the IP pot to Saute. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Stir cornstarch into remaining ¼ cup milk and add to the pot. Stir gently until sauce has slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
*any type of sausage will work!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE THIS RECIPE AND COMMENT BELOW! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR EXPERIENCE.