This Healthy Raisin Bread is the BEST! It bakes perfectly and is packed with fiber, protein and whole grains.
Happy Wednesday! Hope you first day of the year is going well! We’ve had tons of new changes at our house. My husband started his first day at his full-time, post graduate job this week! I still can’t believe we are no longer students!
My three-year-old started preschool and couldn’t be more excited about it. I was more teary than he was. It’s just nice to have a fresh start, right?! And this year I swear I’m going to fulfill my resolutions for longer than the month of January 😉
So my mom often calls with great food ideas for me to share with you guys, and if she recommends it than I know it’s going to be good. When I finally got around to making this Healthy Raisin Bread she recommended I seriously was kicking myself for not having made it sooner.
The recipe comes from a family friend, Kathy G., who is an awesome cook, and it’s AMAZING! Not only is it one of my favorite bread recipes I’ve ever baked, it’s also packed with fiber, protein and whole grains.
When my husband tried a slice his first reaction was “this is SOO freakin’ good!” I told him it was healthy too and he hardly believed me 🙂
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY SNACK IDEAS? TRY SOME OF MY OTHER FAVORITES:
- Healthy Applesauce Oat Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
- No-Bake Granola Bars
- Healthy No-Bake Granola Bites
- Tomato Avocado Melt
- Citrus Fruit Salad
Healthy Raisin Bread
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup bran cereal like All-Bran
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese 1%
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- To a large saucepan add oats, bran cereal, raisins, cottage cheese, butter, molasses, honey, and salt.
- Turn heat to medium and stir to combine. Pour boiling water over mixture and stir until butter us melted (about 1 minute).
- Pour mixture into a large stand mixer.
- Combine the yeast, very warm water, and 1/4 tsp honey and stir gently. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Add to stand mixture, along with whole wheat flour. Mix to combine.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the unbleached flour, a little at a time, until it begins to pull away from the sides.
- You may not need to use all the flour. Knead for 7-8 minutes in your stand mixer (or by hand if you don't have a stand mixer). Dough will be very sticky.
- Grease 3 bread pans. Shape dough into 3 loaves, and set in bread pans.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled. about 1 - 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake loaves for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and done in the middle. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.