Easy old-fashioned Coconut Cream Pie is homemade with a creamy coconut pudding filling and whipped cream topping. This AMAZING Pie is a crowd favorite.
I look for any excuse to make my favorite pie recipes. Lemon Sour Cream Pie and Triple Berry Pie will always be my favorite but my husband loves this Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Pie. Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of them! One taste of this Coconut Cream Pie and you’ll never be able to enjoy a store-bought version again!
Coconut Cream Pie
I grew up in a big family, with a HUGE extended family. We’re talking like 30 cousins, just on my mom’s side of the family. Needless to say, each Easter and Thanksgiving includes just about every Homemade Pie option under the sun!
I was so accustomed to it that I thought all families had dozens of pie choices at their Thanksgiving party. I feel like no matter how many people there are at the party, you’ve still got to have a bunch of pies, right? I like to try a small piece of a few different kinds.
This coconut cream pie is a classic, old-fashioned recipe that deserves a seat at any party! The homemade filling is incredible, with the perfect texture and flavor that’s not overly sweet. I can’t wait for you to try it!
What is Coconut Cream Pie Made of?
The ingredients in coconut cream pie include:
- A pre-baked baked Pie crust. I’d highly recommend my EASY Perfect Pie Crust, over a tasteless store-bought crust. I’ve included step-by-step photos at the bottom of the pie crust recipe for how to blind-bake the crust for recipes that call for a pre-baked pie shell, like this coconut cream pie recipe.
- Coconut. Shredded sweetened coconut flakes, or use unsweetened, if you’d rather.
- Unsweetened coconut milk. This can be found in a can in the asian food isle at your local grocery store..
- Half and half
- Egg yolk
- Cream cheese
- Coconut extract
- Whipped cream and toasted coconut. For topping!
How to Toast Coconut:
I love to toast the coconut before adding it to the pie filling and topping. Toasting coconut adds a really great depth of flavor and “nuttiness”. I’ve found the simplest way to toast coconut is on the stovetop.
- Add desired amount of coconut to a large skillet.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring and tossing frequently, until the flakes are mostly golden brown. Watch it closely because once it starts to toast it goes quickly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Store toasted coconut in an airtight container or jar for up to one month. This is a great step to do ahead if you want to save time.
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie:
- Make the filling. Combine coconut milk, 1 cup half and half, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a near boil.
- Make a cornstarch slurry. Mix ½ cup half and half and cornstarch.
- Temper the egg yolks. Slowly add the hot mixture to the egg yolks, making sure the eggs don’t cook. Add egg yolks and cornstarch to the pan.
- Finish the pudding. Remove it from the heat and add in cream cheese, vanilla extract and coconut extract. Stir in coconut.
- Pour into pie crust. Pour mixture into baked pie crust.
- Cool. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 – 3 hours. Top with whipped cream and the toasted coconut.
How to store coconut cream pie:
Store coconut cream pie in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE HOMEMADE PIES:
- Cherry pie
- Lemon Sour Cream Pie
- Pumpkin Pie with Caramel Pecan Topping
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Oreo Cheesecake Pie
- Lemon Chiffon Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9-inch pre-baked pie crust *
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut , toasted, divided
- 14 ounce can canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 ounces cream cheese , diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract , to taste
- fresh whipped cream , lightly sweetened
- shredded sweetened coconut , toasted
- In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, 1 cup half and half, granulated sugar and the salt.
- Set mixture over medium heat, and bring mixture nearly to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together remaining ½ cup half and half and cornstarch until well blended.
- In another small mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks. Slowly pour ½ cup of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly (to temper the eggs).
- Pour egg yolk mixture and cornstarch mixture into saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring vigorously, for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in cream cheese, vanilla extract and coconut extract; stir until well blended.
- Stir in ½ - ¾ cup coconut, reserving the rest for topping on the finished pie.
- Pour mixture into baked pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 - 3 hours.
- Top with whipped cream and the toasted coconut.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe November 2014. Updated April 2019.