What I LOVE about this recipe:
- That frosting. Smooth and creamy cream cheese frosting that pairs perfectly with chocolate brownies.
- The zucchini. This brownie recipe relies on the grated zucchini to make it extra moist.
- The texture. These brownies have a slightly dense cake-like texture that I absolutely love.
Do NOT peel: Leave the skin on the zucchini for grating. Simply wash the zucchini, cut off the ends and grate.
Choose grating method: Use the medium size holes of the box grater or use the grating feature on your food processor.
Squeeze out some of the excess moisture: Depending on the size and quality of the zucchini some will have more moisture than others. If the zucchini seems overly wet once it’s grated, use a paper towel to gently squeeze out some (not all) of the moisture. This zucchini recipe does rely on the fact that the zucchini will provide moisture to the batter–we just don’t want so much that it creates a gummy texture, but we don’t want to squeeze it out dry, either.
How to Make Zucchini Brownies:
Mix wet ingredients. Mix the oil and sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Add the vanilla and shredded zucchini and mix well.
Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Combine. Add dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl and beat until combined.
Add to pan. Spread mixture into prepared pan (batter will be thick) and smooth into an even layer.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they center of the brownies springs back when gently touched. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
Frost. Once they are completely cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Healthier zucchini brownies: cut the sugar in half and use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Use applesauce instead of oil.
- Gluten-free zucchini brownies: substitute gluten free flour.
- Vegan zucchini brownies: use a flax egg and omit the frosting or use a vegan frosting.
Consider using your zucchini in these yummy recipes:
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Mom’s Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchinis , shredded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the oil and sugar.
- Add the egg and mix well. Add the vanilla and shredded zucchini and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl and beat until combined.
- Spread mixture into prepared pan (batter will be thick) and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they center of the brownies springs back when gently touched. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Frost brownies with cream cheese frosting, once they are completely cool.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe July 2015. Updated June 2020 with process photos and additional instructions.