Everyone always loves this creamy, fluffy Frog Eye Salad made with acini de pepe, pineapple, coconut, mandarin oranges, marshmallows, and bananas.
I’m sure many of you know this salad as the one that your grandmother brought to family parties. It’s super old school, but some of those old school recipes will always be classics, am I right?!
But, can we all agree that “Frog Eye Salad” is the worst name ever? It totally makes me laugh. The last thing I want to be thinking when I’m eating this is “ooh, those acini de pepes are just like little frog eyes!”.
I don’t know who came up with the name but it’s so weird. Did you grow up calling this “Frog Eye” Salad or something else? We usually called it Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad.
Well, whatever you called it, this bowl of fluffy, fruity goodness is the best! It’s basically dessert and not a salad at all. But who am I to put up a fight when a big bowl of dessert is served as a side dish? 🙂
The traditional version of this salad uses a container of thawed cool whip, but I use freshly whipped cream instead and it makes the biggest difference. Beating the cream takes just as much time as thawing a container of cool whip, but it tastes SOO much yummier!
How to make Frog Eye Salad:
In a saucepan, heat sugar, pineapple juice, egg yolk, salt, and cornstarch and whisk until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and wait for it to thicken slightly. Remove it from heat. Cook the acini de pepe noodles separately.
Combine the acini de pepe and the sugar mixture and refrigerate overnight or for at least two hours. When you’re ready to serve the salad, combine the pineapple, oranges, coconut, bananas, and marshmallows. Then add the fruit mixture to the acini de pepe noodles. Fold in the fresh whipped cream and serve!
How do you cook acini de pepe noodles?
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the acini de pepe noodles, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 6 minutes or until al dente.
Consider trying these fruit salad recipes:
- Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- Jello Fruit Salad
- Apple Cranberry Fruit Salad
- Frog Eye Fruit Salad (Acini de Pepe)
- Creamy Fruit Salad
- Citrus Fruit Salad
Frog Eye Salad
- 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits , drained and juice reserved
- 10 ounce can crushed pineapple , drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup acini de pepe noodles
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges , drained
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 banana , sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Drain the pineapple cans and reserve the juice. Reserve the pineapple fruit in the fridge for later.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the pineapple juice, sugar, egg yolk, salt and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Cook until mixtures comes to a low boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Cook acini de pepe noodles according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
- Combine the acini de pepe and the thickened sauce in a tupperware. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Once the acini de pepe mixture has chilled add it to a large bowl with the pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, marshmallows, and bananas.
- In a separate bowl beat the cream and sugar together until stiff peaks. Fold fresh whipped cream into the acini de pepe mixture. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.