Is anyone else’s mind set on Valentine’s Day yet?! I’m already planning in my head the delicious sweets I want to make for friends, family, teachers, and neighbors. My mom would always send my sister and I to school with a big box of Valentine Sugar Cookies for our friends. It was our most popular day of the year 🙂 . This year I don’t think I can resist making these German Chocolate Cupcakes, and my favorite Peanut Butter Heart Cookies!
Our “Special Occasion” dessert growing up was always my Mom’s famous German Chocolate Cake. It’s what everyone requested for their birthday cakes (except me…I was the outcast who wanted Carrot Cake). No lie, it’s pretty much the best cake on this entire planet. I wanted to make my mom’s version into cupcakes because sometimes they are more fun for parties with kids and lots of people because everyone can just take one and there’s no mess involved– no plates, knives, forks, and all that.
- 24 baked Chocolate Cupcakes (homemade, or doctored-up Cake Mix version
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup Pecans
- 1 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, mix the first five ingredients together. Bring the mixture to a low boil over medium heat. Stir constantly for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts and coconut. Allow to cool while you make the chocolate frosting.
- Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Pipe chocolate frosting along the outside edge of a chocolate cupcake (here's an easy tutorial. I was 9 months pregnant during this embarrassing film..don't judge ;-)).
- Spoon coconut frosting into the middle.
Never miss a post! Follow Tastes Better From Scratch on: