How to make Turtle Cookies:
To make this recipe even easier, you could make the cookie dough one day in advance. Wrap it really well and refrigerate it.
Can I freeze turtle cookies?
You have two options for freezing these turtle cookies. The first option is to make the cookie dough, freeze it, and use it to make the cookies. The second option for freezing thumbprint cookies is to follow the recipe completely and make all cookies, allow them to cool completely, and then place them in a gallon freezer bag. When you are ready to eat them, allow them to come to room temperature on your counter top.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR HOLIDAY TREATS:
- Homemade Caramels
- Caramel Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
For the cookies:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg , separated
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans , finely chopped
For the Caramel:
- 2/3 cup Kraft Caramel Bits or regular caramels, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt. In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, just until combined. Chill dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another shallow bowl. Remove dough from fridge and roll into small balls (however many cookies you want--I made 20 small ones).
- Roll each dough ball in the frothy egg whites, and then roll and press in the chopped pecans. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Use the back of a small measuring spoon to make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350 Degrees F for about 10-12 minutes, or just until set. Don't over-bake as cookies will harden as they cool.
- As the cookies come out of the oven, gently re-press the indentations with a small spoon.
- In a microwavable bowl mix the caramel bits and water. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until caramel is melted (1-2 minutes). Pour small spoonfuls of caramel into the indented cookies. *Optional: Drizzle with melted chocolate (or sprinkle with sea salt)!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe December 2013. I updated in November 2017 with new photos and clearer instructions.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!