Delicious Pecan Sandies with a buttery shortbread cookie taste everyone loves and chopped pecans throughout. They are quick to make and you can roll them in powdered sugar to make Mexican Wedding Cookies or Snowball Cookies.
Why I love these cookies:
- Unique – They’re fun and different from the chocolate chip or sugar cookies people often bring to gatherings. They’re called Pecan Sandies because of their fine, sand-like texture that’s similar to a sweet and buttery shortbread cookie, with bits of chopped pecan throughout.
- Pantry Ingredients – You likely already have everything on hand to make these homemade pecan sandies cookies.
- Freezer Friendly – These are the perfect cookies to make ahead or freeze the dough, to ensure a fresh cookie is just moments away at all times.
How to make Pecan Sandies:
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour, salt, and pecans and stir to combine. Chill for 20 minutes
- Roll into 1 ½ inch balls. Get a glass cup and wet the bottom of it slightly. Gently press the cookies using the bottom of the glass.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Press a whole pecan on top while cookies are warm, if desired.
- Nuts: Feel free to swap out the pecans for walnuts, hazelnuts, or your favorite type of nut.
- Snowball Cookies or Mexican Wedding Cookies: Roll cookie into dough balls (don’t flatten). Bake, then once cool enough to handle, roll each in powdered sugar.
- Flat Cookies: If you like your Pecan Sandies flatter, skip the chilling step!
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Make the dough and chill in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To Freeze: These homemade pecan sandies may be frozen baked, but my favorite way to freeze Pecan Sandies is to scoop the dough balls and place onto a baking sheet as close together as you can but make sure they don’t touch. Freeze for about 30 minutes and transfer to freezer bags. Let thaw and bake as directed.
More Old Fashioned Cookie Recipes:
Follow me for more great recipes
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2-2 cup pecans , corsely chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and mix. Add flour, salt, and pecans and stir to combine.
- Chill for 20 minutes. Roll into 1 ½ inch balls. Get a glass cup and wet the bottom of it slightly. Gently press the cookies using the bottom of the glass.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!