Grasshopper Pie is a homemade Oreo crust, filled with mint chocolate chip ice cream with a caramel sauce drizzled on top and whipped cream piped around the edge.
Have you ever had Asphalt Pie from Wingers? Well, this is a total copycat recipe! I may have changed the name to “Grasshopper Pie” to make it more recognizable, but that homemade caramel sauce on top of the pie takes this recipe above and beyond a traditional Grasshopper Pie.
I could honestly eat this whole pie by myself. And make sure to get a high quality mint chocolate chip ice cream because it will make all the difference! I love the Blue Bunny brand.
My husband would go to Winger’s just to order their asphalt pie. It’s so good, and this copycat recipe is spot on. The BEST no-bake ice cream pie, ever! You make a perfect, soft, oreo crust, top it with mint chocolate chip ice cream, drizzle and awesome (and EASY) homemade caramel sauce on top, with a few dollops of whipped cream. You just can’t go wrong with this pie.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE HOMEMADE PIES:
- Cherry pie
- Lemon Sour Cream Pie
- Pumpkin Pie with Caramel Pecan Topping
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Oreo Cheesecake Pie
- Lemon Chiffon Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Triple Berry Pie
- 24 Oreo cookies
- 5 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream
- fresh whipped cream , for topping
For the Caramel Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1/2 cup half and half (or whipping cream)
- dash of salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the crust, place Oreo cookies in a food processor and pulse well into tiny crumbs.
- Pour Oreo crumbs into a bowl and stir in the melted butter. Press the mixture into a deep dish 9-inch pie plate, covering the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Remove crust from the fridge and spoon ice cream over the top, a scoop at a time, until you've filled the pie dish.
- Smooth into an even layer and freeze for several hours or overnight. (I like to make the pie and caramel a day in advance).
- Drizzle caramel sauce on top. Garnish pie with freshly whipped cream, if desired.
For the Caramel Sauce
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, half-and-half and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until thickened slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and pour sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold. (You can make the sauce days in advance, then just warm it slightly in the microwave before serving with the pie.)
- Drizzle caramel sauce over the pie and serve. I like to offer the extra caramel for people to spoon more on their slice if they want.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.