To make this recipe even easier, you could make the cookie dough one day in advance. Wrap it really well and refrigerate it.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR HOLIDAY TREATS:
- Homemade Caramels
- Caramel Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
Turtle cookies are delicious caramel and pecan cookies drizzled with chocolate.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter 1 stick
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg separated
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- 2/3 cup Kraft caramel bits or regular caramels, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Combine flour, cocoa and salt. In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolk, milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture, just until combined. Chill dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Whisk egg whites in a bowl until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another shallow bowl. Remove dough from fridge and roll into small balls (however many cookies you want--I made 20 small ones).
- Roll each dough ball in the frothy egg whites, and then roll and press in the chopped pecans. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Use the back of a small measuring spoon to make an indentation in the center of each dough ball.
- Bake at 350 Degrees F for about 10-12 minutes, or until set.
- As the cookies come out of the oven, gently re-press the indentations with a small spoon.
- In a microwavable bowl mix the caramel bits and water. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring after each interval, until caramel is melted (1-2 minutes). Pour small spoonfuls of caramel into the indented cookies. *Optional: Drizzle with melted chocolate (or sprinkle with sea salt)!
Adapted from The Kitchen is My Playground
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe December 2013. I updated in November 2017 with new photos and clearer instructions.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products and cooking tools with you guys!