Juicy ripe tomatoes, sweet basil, garlic and fresh parmesan cheese make up this deliciously simple Tomato Basil Pasta recipe. It’s light and fresh and on the table in 20 minutes!
Why I love this pasta:
- Fresh – This pasta is full of the freshest Summer ingredients and it doesn’t make you feel weighed down! Another favorite lighter summer pasta dish is my Lemon Chicken Pasta!
- Quick – This is faster than take-out (and tastes a lot better too) at only 20 minutes! Perfect for a busy weeknight. I was originally inspired to make this from my love of the old Capellini Pomodoro pasta from Olive Garden.
- Family Favorite – You just can’t beat the perfect combination of pasta with tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese. This simple meal is loved by all!
How to make Tomato Basil Pasta:
Cook Pasta: Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Sauté Garlic: While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Once hot, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, careful not to burn it.
Finish Sauce: Add freshly diced tomatoes and cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add fresh ground black pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese. Add fresh chopped basil. In Italian-inspired pasta recipes we use sweet basil (commonly found at the grocery store).
- Veggies: Try adding chopped spinach, onion, zucchini, or asparagus.
- Chicken: Add chicken to make it heartier, and add extra protein. Sauté the chicken in oil, first, (season with salt and pepper), then add garlic and continue with the recipe.
- Pasta: Use whole wheat spaghetti, or any other type of pasta.
More 30 Minute Meals:
- The BEST Black Bean Burger
- Gallo Pinto
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Air Fryer Meatballs
- Walking Tacos
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Shrimp Creole
- Easy Beef Stroganoff
Follow me for more great recipes
Tomato Basil Pasta
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Once hot, add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, careful not to burn it.
- Add freshly diced tomatoes and cook, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add fresh ground black pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese. Add fresh chopped basil.
- Serve mixture over hot cooked spaghetti noodles.
- Garnish with remaining parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe August 2015. Updated August 2020 and June 2022.