Fritos Taco Salad is a fun and kid-approved easy dinner idea the entire family will love. Made with real ingredients and ready in less than 30 minutes!
I just returned from a fun food blogging conference in Salt Lake City. It’s so much fun learning from and visiting with other food bloggers that I admire so much. You can look forward to some great improvements here on my site, including lots more recipe video tutorials!
My mother-in-law shared this simple Fritos Taco Salad with me when she was in town recently. It’s a recipe that her mother made often for her, and she, in turn, made for kids. It’s kid approved and adults love it too.
Start with a handful of fritos chips on a plate and ladle a spoonful of the taco meat and bean mixture over top. Add shredded lettuce, cheese, olives, tomatoes, avocado, salsa and sour cream.
This Fritos Taco Salad is fun and different, and the perfect meal to mix things up. My kids LOVE it. I thought my one-year-old might have trouble eating it, but she literally ditched her fork and shoveled spoonfuls into her mouth with her hands. It was hilarious.
I hope you all love this easy, family-friendly dinner idea as much as we did!
Consider trying these popular salad recipes:
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Healthy Chicken Pasta Salad
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Thai Quinoa Salad
Fritos Taco Salad
For the Taco Salad:
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced
- 1 ribs celery , diced (just one single piece)
- 1/2 yellow onion , diced
- 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounce can chili beans , partially drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 romaine heart , chopped
- 1 large tomato , diced
- 1 avocado , peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 small can sliced olives , optional
- sour cream , for topping
- salsa , for topping
- 16 ounce bags frito Chips
For the taco seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the taco seasoning spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chopped onion and celery and cook until meat is browned. Drain any grease.
- Add minced garlic. Add crushed tomatoes, chili beans, and taco seasoning.
- Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Place a handful of fritos chips on a plate.
- Top with a ladle-full of chili mixture.
- Top with a handful of chopped lettuce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, avocados, olives, and a spoonful of sour cream and salsa. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.