The BEST Black Bean Burger recipe is fast and easy and made with fresh ingredients. They’re so flavorful that you won’t miss the meat one bit.
Why I love them:
- Protein packed and Healthy – Black bean burgers are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals and are much lower in fat and cholesterol than a traditional ground beef burger. Plus, they still have about 12 grams of protein in each burger.
- Easy – They only take a few minutes to make, for an easy dinner in about 30 minutes!
- Affordable – This meal is made with affordable pantry ingredients, and since there is no meat, it keeps the cost low. But you aren’t sacrificing anything with taste.
- Black Beans: drained and rinsed. Could substitute pinto or navy beans.
- Bell Pepper: any color.
- Bread Crumbs: I use whole wheat, but Panko or regular would also work.
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
How to Make Black Bean Burgers:
Mash Black Beans. Drain and rinse the black beans and blot them with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture. Place the black beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork.
Puree Veggies: Place the bell pepper, onion, and garlic in a food processor and process until finely minced.
Strain: Transfer mixture to a fine mesh strainer and press out as much excess liquid as possible.
Combine Ingredients: Add the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the black beans. Add the chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add beaten egg and mix. Stir in bread crumbs.
Form Patties: Scoop the mixture into 4 or 5 portions and press into patties.
Cook on Grill, Stove or Oven: Grill the burgers on a well oiled grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side. Bake them at 375 degrees F on a lightly oiled baking sheet, for 10 minutes on each side. Or, cook over medium heat in a greased grill pan or skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Serve: Place on a hamburger bun (or in a large lettuce leaf, for a lettuce wrap burger) and serve with your favorite toppings. My favorite toppings include chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, avocado, onion, sautéed mushrooms, pickles, or jalapeños.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The black bean burger mixture can be made 1-2 days ahead of time, formed into patties, or not, covered well.
To Freeze: Prepare and shape the black bean burger patties and lay them flat inside a freezer safe bag or container (separate layers with parchment paper, if needed). Freeze for up to 2 months. Cook from frozen or thaw before cooking.
- Vegan Black Bean Burger: Substitute the egg with a flax egg (1 Tablespoon flax meal mixed with 3 Tablespoons hot water).
- Spicy Black Bean Burger: Add a dash of cayenne pepper with the other seasonings and top with chipotle mayo and jalapeños.
- Homemade French Fries or Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Fresh Fruit Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Watermelon Salad
- Corn Salad or Grilled Corn on the Cob
Follow me for more great recipes
The BEST Black Bean Burger
Black Bean Burger:
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic , peeled
- 1 large egg* , beaten
- 2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- desired burger toppings: lettuce, tomato, etc.
- Mash black beans: Place rinsed and drained black beans in a bowl. If needed, blot them with a paper towel to remove extra moisture. Place in a large bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Puree Veggies: Place bell pepper, onion and garlic in a food processor and process until finely minced.
- Strain: Transfer pureed veggie mixture to a fine mesh strainer and use the back of a spoon to press out excess moisture. (If it's too wet, the burger wont hold together as well.)
- Combine: Add the strained vegetable mixture to the bowl with the black beans. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Add beaten egg and mix. Stir in bread crumbs.
- Form Patties: scoop mixture into 4 even sized patties, forming them and pressing flat with your hands.
Cook on Grill, Stove or Oven:
- To Grill: Cook on well oiled grill over medium heat, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- To Cook on Stove: Cook over medium heat in a greased grill pan or skillet for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- To Cook in Oven: Bake at 375 degrees F on a lightly oiled baking sheet, for 8-10 minutes on each side.
- Assemble: Serve burgers on a bun or lettuce wrap and top with a spoonful of chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato, cheese, avocado, or any desired toppings!
- Chipotle Mayo Sauce: Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I first shared this recipe March 2016. Updated June 2019 and June 2022.
This post contains affiliate links.