This “dump it and forget it” Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Fajita Soup is loaded with crazy delicious flavor, it couldn’t be easier to make, and it’s healthy too!
Thank heavens for slow cooker soups and, really, slow cooker meals in general! This type of “dump it and forget it” meal is a lifesaver for me. I’m always trying to come up with new and delicious meals that use ingredients I already have in my pantry, and this slow cooker chipotle chicken fajita soup was a WINNER!
This is one of those meals that I was “mmmmm-ing” with every single bite. It’s so fresh and light tasting that I could have eaten the entire batch, but I’m so happy I saved the leftovers because it tasted even better the next day!
I love that the ingredients for this soup are simple ones I usually have in my pantry. If you’re not familiar with a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, you will LOVE them. Most recipes just call for a little of it, so put the extra in a freezer ziplock bag to use for anther recipe. Some of my favorite recipes using chipotle peppers include Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls, Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls , Chipotle Pesto Pasta , and Corn Chowder with Chiles.
The flavors in this soup are insanely good. The smokey-ness from the adobo sauce and chipotle pepper add a little punch that is addicting.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce PLUS 1 TBSP sauce from the can*
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 avocado for topping
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro for topping
- Fresh white corn tortillas for serving
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the ground cumin and place them in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add chopped onions, diced tomatoes, chipotle chili and adobo sauce, oregano, remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin, corn, black beans, bell pepper, and chicken broth
- Cover and cook on LOW 3.5 - 4 hours or HIGH for 2 - 3 hours, until chicken is cooked through (but not overcooked). Shred chicken.
- Serve soup warm, topped with fresh avocado and cilantro and with warm corn tortillas on the side.