Pineapple Cream Cake is a yellow cake with a creamy pineapple frosting topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
It’s my best friend’s birthday today. Her name is Liz, and she’s my identical twin sister. (Yes, that also makes today my birthday too 🙂 ..but this post isn’t about me. It’s about my sister. Sharing a birthday with her is the BEST–we had so much fun as kids.
I hate that we now live so far away from each other because I need her next to me when I’m blowing out birthday candles and opening presents. I hate having the attention all by myself. So this post is for you LIZZIE. I love you and miss you terribly! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
This photo KILLS me every time. The hair. The dresses. Well done mom, well done. 🙂
(As a side note, you may notice I use a cake mix in this recipe. You are welcome to use a “from scratch” yellow cake, but I love the added mandarin oranges in with a good quality cake mix! I do make some exceptions when cooking from scratch and a “doctored” cake mix is great when you want a fast and easy dessert!).
Growing up my mom always made us each our own special birthday cake. I’m a Carrot Cake girl through and through, and my sister loves German Chocolate Cake. One cake we could both always agree on, however, is this pineapple cream cake!
And since I’ve already shared our other two favorite recipes, I’m excited to share this one with you. This is a total Memorial Day, summertime cake. It’s perfectly moist (ya, I hate that word, but it’s the best way to describe it) and the whipped frosting is to DIE. for. You can make it in a 9×13” pan or as a sheet cake –either way it’s perfect for a crowd and everyone always loves it.
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pineapple Cream Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 11 ounce can mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 4 large eggs
For the Frosting
- 3.4 ounce box vanilla instant pudding
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 heaping cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cake mix, butter, the whole can of mandarin oranges (juice and all), oil, eggs and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13'' pan and bake for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Mix the dry pudding packet and the whole can of crushed pineapple together. Refrigerate while you do the next steps.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the heavy cream until peaks start to form. Add the powdered sugar and beat well.
- Fold in the coconut and the pineapple/pudding mixture.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. (I garnished the top of my cake with some toasted coconut.)
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.