Peppermint Brownie Trifle includes layers of brownie, white chocolate mousse, chocolate pudding and crushed peppermint candies.
One of the questions I get asked often as a food blogger is if I ever worry that I’ll run out of ideas. That is something that could never, EVER happen. Even before I started blogging I’d love to think of new things to make.
I’d especially love looking at restaurant menu’s and recreating things I liked. I love going into bakeries or cafes just to see the pretty desserts and think of what kind of spin I could put on them.
I have a huge binder full of ideas with pages for every occasion where I jot down notes for what I want to make. I probably spend way to much time thinking about food, but I just can’t help it!
The idea of a brownie trifle has been on my “to-make” list for a long time. And since it’s Christmas I knew I wanted to make it with peppermint flavors, because c’mon, who can resist chocolate and peppermint? (And speaking of chocolate and peppermint, you should definitely try my Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake if you’re into that sorta thing 🙂 )
I got the idea to make a white chocolate peppermint mousse from here, and then I layered it with chocolate pudding and brownie bites. This trifle turned out better than I ever could have dreamed! You can layer it in cups and serve it as individual portions, or you and layer it in a large trifle dish.
Consider trying these holiday favorites:
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Brownie Truffles
- Christmas Cornflake Wreaths
- Homemade Caramels
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Peppermint Brownie Trifle
White Chocolate Peppermint Mousse:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream divided
- 10 ounces white chocolate coarsely chopped, or ghirardelli white chocolate chips
- 1 cup peppermint candies crushed, divided (about 12 candy canes, crushed)
- 3 cups chocolate pudding
- 1 9x13'' pan Brownies , baked
For the mousse:
- Add 1 cup heavy cream to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.Pour white chocolate chips into a mixing bowl. Pour simmering cream over the top, and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Add remaining 1 cup of cream to a large mixing bowl and beat until stiff peaks.
- Fold into the cooled white chocolate mixture, along with ½ cup of the crushed candy. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Make the chocolate pudding and set aside.
- Make the brownies and allow to cool completely. Cut into small squares.
- Cover the bottom of your serving cups (or a large trifle dish) with brownie pieces. Add spoonfuls of pudding on top.
- Smooth a layer of mousse on top of the pudding. Repeat with 2 more layers.
- Cover with plastic wrap until ready to serve. Garnish with crushed peppermint candies just before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This shows a 4 hour cook time..is that correct?
That’s including refrigeration time for the mousse 🙂
I’m confused about the white chocolate. The ingredients only call for one bag. How are they divided between the mousse and the topping?
Hi Sarah–the white chocolate only goes to make the mousse. The trifle is layers of brownie, mousse, and chocolate pudding.
I looked at the ingredients and it calls for 2 cups of heavy cream. However down below it says use one cup of the cream and then use the remaining 1 1/2 cups of cream later on. I was just wondering what I need to use where. otherwise this looks amazing and I cant wait to try it.
Hi Lauren, sorry for the confusion–I updated the recipe. It’s 1 cup of cream to simmer, and 1 cup of cream whipped.
Ctually says 2 cups o cream later on.
This sounds so good!!
Thanks so much Jenn!