Just 5 easy ingredients for the BEST and easiest marinated flank steak recipe.
True story: every single year when summer comes around I want to share this recipe with you guys. The problem I always face is taking the time to photograph it after I grill it, because all my family wants to do is eat it ASAP!
My mom got this flank steak marinade recipe 30 years ago from some neighbors of hers and it has been a treasured family recipe ever since. She would make it for Sunday dinner all the time when I was young and it was my FAVORITE. The flavor is incredible.
I can honestly say this is my favorite steak of all time–especially to make from home! It’s so EASY and delicious. Just add the marinade ingredients to a ziplock bag, add the steak and marinade for a few hours. Grill it on high heat, and slice it into very thin slices. You really cant mess this one up!
Here are my tips for making a really perfect grilled marinated flank steak.
Marinate the steak for 3 hours
You can marinate your steak for much longer than this, it depends on how strong you want the marinated flavor to be. Because this is a soy based marinade, I have found that it tastes best if it is left marinating in the marinade for 3-6 hours.
Grill on high heat.
Flank steak is such a thin cut of meat that you want to be able to sear the outside of the meat, without overcooking the inside. So, make sue you grill is HOT before placing the meat on it.
Rest the steak
As with most meat, you want to let it rest after grilling to allow the juices to settle in the meat, making it juicier and more tender. If you cut into it directly off the grill, without waiting, you will loose a lot of the juices as you cut it.
Cut across the grain
That means, notice the directional lines in the meat grain and slice perpendicular to them. If you cut along the grain then the meat will be tougher and chewier to eat.
Some of my favorite things to serve this with are twice baked potatoes, mushroom bacon swiss salad, and shredded brussels sprouts. It would be yummy with any fresh steamed or grilled veggies and even a big pile of mashed potatoes. YUM!
CONSIDER SERVING THIS WITH:
Marinated Flank Steak
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup peach juice or peach nectar*
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 flank steak
- Add oil, soy sauce, peach juice, minced onion and parsley to a large ziplock bag.
- Add the flank steak to the bag, seal it, and lay it flat in your fridge to marinate for 3-6 hours.
- Remove the bag from the fridge about 15 minutes before grilling.
- Heat grill to high heat. Once the grill is hot, remove the steak from the bag of marinade (you can discard the marinade) and lay it on the grill.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for 3-4 more minutes, depending on how well done you like your steak. I don't use a meat thermometer, but if you do, a general guideline is 125 to 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare, and 150°F for medium.
- Remove steak from the grill and place it on a cutting board. Cover it with a piece of tinfoil and allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the meat across the grain, at a diagonal, in VERY THIN slices (almost "paper thin"). ENJOY!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.