This Grilled Pizzas recipe and tutorial is for homemade pizzas (including homemade pizza crust) that are cooked on the grill! They take traditional pizza to a whole new level!
We make a lot of homemade pizza at our house. It’s pretty much what my husband requests every Friday night. Now that it’s so dang hot and humid in St. Louis I try to keep the oven off at dinner time, and grilling is our favorite thing to do!
Grilled steaks, kebabs, corn on the cob, grilled pineapple…we love it all! Everything tastes better on the grill. And If you’ve never tried grilled pizzas you are in for a huge treat! My favorite pizza to grill is BBQ Chicken, but any kind of toppings will be delicious!
If it’s your first time grilling a pizza, you could flatten a tiny piece of the dough and test it out on the grill first, before making a larger pizza.
Grilling Pizzas could be my absolute favorite way to cook them! They’re delicious –crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. And it’s fun to make the personal pan size pizza so that everyone can choose their own toppings.
How to cook pizza on the grill:
Cooking pizza on the grill (wood burning or not), gives the pizza a nice texture and great smoky flavor. After rolling out your dough, brush some oil on one side and set the oil side straight on the grill. Heat your grill to about 450 degrees, and place the pizza right on the grill grates. You could also use a pizza stone on the grill (you may want to double check that your specific brand of pizza stone is safe for doing this).
Cook the pizza dough for a couple minutes, until it begins to puff slightly and is golden on the bottom. Remove it, flip it over and top the cooked side with your favorite pizza toppings. Then return it to the grill for a couple minutes to cook the other side.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE POPULAR PIZZA RECIPES:
- White Garlic Chicken and Veggie Pizza
- Loaded Jalepeno Popper Pizza
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- Pesto Veggie Pizza
- Garlic Ranch Chicken Pizza
- Barbeque Chicken Pizza
- 1 batch Perfect Homemade Pizza dough
- olive oil
- your favorite pizzas toppings
- Make sure grill is well cleaned and oiled, to prevent the crust from sticking. Preheat it to medium heat.
- After pizza dough has risen, punch down dough and divide into about 6-8 small pieces (depending on how big you want your pizza). Stretch or roll dough into desired size.
- Brush tops of each pizza with olive oil, then use an extra large spatula to place pizzas on the grill, oiled side down.
- Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove pizzas to a plate. Flip so the cooked side is facing up.
- Layer on sauce on pizza toppings and transfer back on the grill, for the bottom side to cook. Lower heat a little and cook for a few minutes more, until cheese is melted and the bottom of the pizza is golden brown.
- Remove to a plate and serve warm.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.