This healthy, flavorful Lentil Salad is made with diced bell pepper and onion, fresh herbs and a simple dressing. It’s easy to make for a delicious lunch or side dish.
I love having prepared food in my fridge, like this lentil salad, for busy days when I need something healthy and filling that’s ready to eat. I love this salad as a stand-alone lunch, but I’ll also make it as a side dish with grilled meats, or to bring a BBQ or potluck.
How to make Lentil Salad:
Add lentils to a medium saucepan with 4 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Add lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings, as needed. Serve cold.
What kind of lentils to use:
You can use any type of lentils for this recipe! Consult the package instructions as some lentils may take. a little longer to cook, and make sure you have ample liquid to completely cover them in the pot (lentils cook more like pasta, not rice, so they wont absorb all of the water as the cook). I often cook the lentils in chicken or vegetable broth to add extra flavor.
Although I think freshly cooked lentils taste superior, you could substitute canned lentils in this recipe if needed.
Vegan Lentil Salad: substitute vegan mayonnaise or soy milk, instead of mayo.
Add more veggies: this is a great recipe for using leftover veggies in your fridge. I like to chop them really small, the size of the lentils. Try adding celery, cucumber, shredded carrot, peas, tomatoes, or leftover cooked veggies like green beans, zucchini, butternut squash.
- 1 1/2 cup lentils*
- 1 bell pepper , finely diced
- 1/4 red onion , finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh-cracked black pepper
- Add lentils to a medium saucepan with 4 cup of cold water.* Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Add lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until completely chilled. Taste and add additional seasonings, as needed. Serve cold.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.