This healthy, flavorful Lentil Salad recipe is made with diced bell pepper and onion, fresh herbs and a simple dressing. It’s easy to make for a delicious lunch or side dish.
Why I love this salad:
- Enjoy All Week: This salad can be made in advance and kept in the fridge. I love to make a batch and pull it out for lunches or as a side throughout the week!
- Healthy: Made with all fresh ingredients, this salad is hearty and good for you!
- Easy to Customize: Use any type of lentils, and I often dice extra veggies I have and toss it in. You can see some of my suggestions below!
How to make Lentil Salad:
Cook Lentils: Add lentils to a medium saucepan with 4 cup of cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
Combine with other Ingredients: Add lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings, as needed.
What kind of lentils to use:
You can use any type of lentils for this recipe! Consult the package instructions as some lentils may take a little longer to cook, and make sure you have enough liquid to completely cover them in the pot (lentils cook more like pasta, not rice, so they wont absorb all of the water as the cook). I often cook the lentils in chicken or vegetable broth to add extra flavor.
Although I think freshly cooked lentils taste superior, you could substitute canned lentils in this recipe if needed.
Make Ahead and Storage Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This cold lentil salad can be made a day in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator .
To Store: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Vegan Lentil Salad: Substitute vegan mayonnaise or soy milk, instead of mayo.
- Add More Veggies: This is a great recipe for using leftover veggies in your fridge. I like to chop them really small, the size of the lentils. Try adding celery, cucumber, shredded carrot, peas, tomatoes, or leftover cooked veggies like green beans, zucchini, butternut squash.
Follow me for more great recipes
- Cook Lentils: Add lentils to a medium saucepan with 4 cup of cold water.* Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Make Salad: Add lentils to a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until completely chilled. Taste and add additional seasonings, as needed. Serve cold.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe August 2020. Updated June 2022.
This post contains affiliate links.