My kids, of course, usually eat waffles with syrup and butter on top, so it took a little work to convince them to try these savory waffles. In the end, both the cornbread waffles and chili were a big hit!
However, you can definitely enjoy cornbread waffles without chili, and simply serve them with butter and honey on top.
What to serve on cornbread waffles:
- Homemade Chili
Check out these popular dinner recipes:
Cornbread Waffles with Chili
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
- Your favorite chili
- Optional chili toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onion
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add milk, oil, and eggs and stir until smooth, but don't over-mix.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron and bake in batches.
- Serve with chili over top, if desired, garnished with shredded Cheddar, sour cream and chopped green onion.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this post September 2013. Updated August 2019.