Caramel hot chocolate with whipped cream and drizzled caramel is the perfect treat for a cool day.
I was completely spoiled growing up, living within a 5 minute drive to three world class ski resorts. My best friend and I would catch the city bus to the resort every day after school to ski or snowboard for a few hours. Like I said–totally spoiled!
There’s a lodge at the resort that served Caramel Hot Chocolate and it was our absolute favorite treat at the end of the day! They’d pile on the whipped cream and drizzle fresh caramel on top–that was my favorite part! This caramel hot chocolate recipe is an awesome copycat of the one I grew up loving.
The delicious homemade caramel sauce can be made in advance and used for other sweet treats too. Or just save it for your next batch of this amazing homemade hot chocolate!
CONSIDER TRYING THESE HOLIDAY DRINKS:
- Homemade Eggnog
- Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Cider
- Homemade Sparkling Apple Cider
- Sparkling Cranberry Apple Punch
Caramel Hot Chocolate
For the Caramel Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar , firmly packed
- 1/2 cup half and half (or use whipped cream)
- dash of salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce , recipe above*
- Whipped Cream or marshmallows for topping
First make the caramel sauce
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, half-and-half and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until thickened slightly, about 5-7 minutes. Add the vanilla and cook another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool (or refrigerate for a few minutes).
For the Hot Chocolate
- Add milk to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once warm, stir in the chocolate chips and ½ cup of caramel sauce and stir well until chocolate has melted. Serve warm topped with whipped cream or marshmallows and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.