Everyone loves this easy Broccoli Salad recipe made with bacon, almonds, raisins or craisins and onion in a delicious creamy and tangy dressing. Serve it at a potluck or bbq or as a side dish for holiday dinner.
When I was growing up this Broccoli Salad made regular appearances at our dinner table all year round. It’s the perfect side dish for a summer bbq, potluck, or just for an easy week night meal, served with grilled chicken and cornbread. Trust me, I know all of the best side dishes to bring to a bbq, and this is at the top of my list!
My mom also made broccoli salad as a side dish for holidays like Easter and Thanksgiving, for family parties and other get togethers. I always looked forward to it and it was usually the first thing I ate on my plate.
So you heard here: your kids may just want to eat their broccoli first, if it’s in the form of this Broccoli Salad! This salad is a CROWD PLEASER!
The flavor combination is absolutely delicious: the crunch from the broccoli and almonds, paired with the bacon, onions and creamy dressing all work together perfectly.
How to make Broccoli Salad:
Chop the heads of broccoli, discarding the large stems so that just the florets remain. Cut the florets into bite-size pieces.
Two heads of broccoli will yield about 7 cups of florets.
Cook the bacon. Chop the onion and almonds. You can prepare all of these ingredients in advance to make the salad prep go faster. You also use a bag of pre-chopped broccoli florets.
Add all of the salad ingredients to a large bowl.
Mix the broccoli salad dressing ingredients together: mayonnaise (or Greek yogurt, for a healthier option), sugar and apple cider vinegar.
I like to use at least half Greek yogurt in my dressing because I think it adds a creaminess to the taste and texture that really compliments the flavors.
Drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the broccoli–you may not want to use it all. I like to reserve some of the dressing to drizzle on the salad just before serving.
Other ingredients to add to broccoli salad:
I especially love how easily this broccoli salad recipe is to customize. Make it your own and add the ingredients you like!
You can swap the almonds out for sunflower seeds, pine nuts or pecans. Add small cubes of cheddar cheese, use raisins instead of craisins, and use any type of onion you like.
Don’t miss some of my other favorite side:
- 2 heads fresh broccoli , cut into florets
- 1 cup mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt (I often use half plain Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup red onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup almonds , chopped (*see note below)
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix together mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Stir well.
- Add broccoli, bacon, onion, cranberries or raisins and almonds to a large bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of sauce.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Toss again to coat before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I first shared this recipe in March 2015. Updated May 2018.