This delicious and easy Broccoli Casserole recipe uses fresh broccoli florets (or frozen) tossed in a creamy sauce, with cheese crackers baked on top. It’s warm and comforting and an easy side dish that pairs well with anything!
I have soo many Thanksgiving recipes, but this Broccoli Casserole was one I always looked forward to my Aunt bringing. The cheese crackers on top are the perfect flavor to pair with the creamy sauce and fresh broccoli. It’s a crowd pleaser, and I love that you can prepare it in advance, to free up cooking time on Thanksgiving morning.
Forget the green bean casserole–this cheesy Broccoli Casserole gets my vote every year!
- Broccoli: I prefer fresh, but frozen will also work.
- Shredded Cheese: cheddar, or your favorite kind. Freshly grate the cheese yourself rather than buying pre-grated cheese, as it will melt and taste better.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: from the can, or my homemade recipe is delicious and easy!
- Dried Minced Onion: or ¼ cup diced onion.
- Cheese Crackers: crushed into crumbs. You could also use ritz or club crackers, or breadcrumbs.
How to Make Broccoli Casserole:
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain well. In a large mixing bowl combine mushroom soup, mayonnaise, eggs, onions and shredded cheese and mix well.
Pour over broccoli and toss to combine. Pour into greased casserole dish.
Sprinkle crushed cheese crackers on top. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
- Healthy Broccoli Casserole: Some options for making the recipe even healthier include making the cream of mushroom soup from scratch, using Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, omitting the cheese and using low-fat cheese crackers, or omitting the crackers.
- More Veggies: I like to add a cup or two of frozen mixed veggies: corn, peas, green beans and carrots.
Storing Instructions: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Make Ahead Instructions: Prepare the entire dish, but store the cheese crackers separately in a ziplock bag. Refrigerate casserole 1-2 days in advance. Allow to come to room temperature for 20 minutes before adding cheese crackers and baking.
More Warm Side Dish Ideas:
Funeral Potatoes (Cheesy Potatoes)
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets about 2 bunches
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup (or homemade)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cheese crackers , crushed
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Boil broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mushroom soup, mayonnaise, eggs, onions and shredded cheese and mix well.
- Pour over broccoli and toss to combine. Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle crushed cheese crackers on top. Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe November 2015. Updated November 2020.
Just finished a Broccoli Casserole dinner. I added about two cups of cubed cooked chicken breast to the casserole and added about 1/2 cup of crumbled cooked bacon on too of the crackers. My spouse just went back for seconds. I’ll be making this again.
It has a weird, soft, curdled texture that we did not enjoy.
Definitely don’t put the crackers on until halfway through cooking which it did not mention in the directions that I read on here and now my crackers are black halfway into it.
This is soooooo good. I made this as it is not complicated as some of others with many ingredients…..This is simple and delicious!
Surprisingly delicious! I don’t like to used canned soups in recipes but thought I would give the recipe a try. I will make again. Thank you.
See More Comments