Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting with real apple chunks, a smooth and creamy frosting and all of your favorite fall flavors wrapped into one. This easy cake is one of our favorites!
If you haven’t noticed, I love APPLE CAKES. I’ve shared a few of my favoites on the blog already, including this delicious Caramel Apple Bundt Cake and my Grandma’s Fresh Apple Cake — both of which are total winners. But one of the things this Apple Spice Cake has that those recipes do not is a fantastic frosting!
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting that pairs perfectly with the fall flavors in this cake.
I LOVE serving delicious, seasonal cakes like this all throughout the fall and holiday seasons. This Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting is the perfect cake for a party, baby shower/bridal shower, or just for dinner with friends.
Or, if you love to bake as much as I do, make this on a whim and send it with your husband to work 🙂 .
I love to send my leftover baked goods to people. I get joy from baking them and then I’m not tempted by them sitting on my kitchen counter begging me to eat the entire pan.
Consider trying these popular apple recipes:
Apple Spice Cake
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoon butter , divided and softened
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples , peeled and chopped (about 2 apples)
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoon light brown sugar , divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice , divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13? baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat until the butter starts to bubble.
- Add the peeled and chopped apples, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and cook, tossing occasionally, until the apples start to soften and the sugar mixture thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the remaining 1 cup of butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, and granulated sugar, and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes), scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as you go.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Add about ⅓ of the flour mixture to the creamed butter/sugar mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add half of the buttermilk and stir. Repeat with another addition of flour, the rest of the buttermilk, and ending with the final addition of flour.
- Add the cooked apple mixture to the batter and fold-in gently. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-43 minutes or until the cake is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add butter and cream together until smooth. Add the brown sugar and beat for about 5 minutes, or until very light and fluffy.
- Mix in vanilla. Spread frosting evenly over cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
This post contains affiliate links.