Combine five simple spices from your pantry to make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice to use in any recipe that calls for it! Save money, and an unnecessary trip to the store and use this easy pumpkin pie spice substitute instead!
Pumpkin Pie Spice is one of those spices you only use a few times a year, and you never need until you really NEED it! I like to make a big batch (about ¼ cup worth) that will last me all season, and is ready to go whenever I have the urge to make Skinny Pumpkin Muffins or any number of my favorite pumpkin dessert recipes.
Why we make our own Pumpkin Pie Spice:
Pumpkin pie spice is made from a combination of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice.
- Tastes Better: This is a spice that you use seasonally, which means if you buy a bottle, you probably won’t use it all and it won’t stay fresh year after year. So, instead of letting it sit around in your cupboard for months, mix it up fresh right when you need it!
- Saves money: Making homemade pumpkin pie spice is also much cheaper than the spice bottle you get at the store, so save yourself some money, especially if you plan to do a lot of pumpkin baking.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
Measure out your spices in a small bowl and mix them together. This recipe yields 2 Tbs. and can be substitute for pumpkin pie spice in any recipe! You can also double or trip the recipe it to save some for later. Store the spice mixture in an air tight container to use for later. Feel free to customize your pumpkin spice to your liking-go heavy on your favorite spice and less on the others.
The recipe outlined in my recipe card will yield 2 Tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice, but I’ve also created this chart that details the amounts needed to make however much homemade pumpkin pie spice you need for your recipe including 1 teaspoon, 1 Tablespoon or more.
Use Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice in these recipes:
- Pumpkin Dream Dessert
- Skinny Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin French Toast
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container for 3-4 months.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.