Patriotic Sugar Cookie Bars are my FAVORITE! Super soft and chewy sugar cookie bars with the best homemade frosting. | Tastes Better From Scratch
When I’m trying to think of a dessert to bring to a summer party of BBQ I usually always turn to “Bars” of some sort. They’re easier than cookies (no rolling or chilling) and they’re great for a crowd. Some of my favorite cookie bar recipes include:
The beauty of sugar cookie bars is that they’re just as AMAZING as sugar cookies, without all the work! No chilling, no rolling, or cutting. And frosting them is a breeze. They’re super soft and the homemade frosting is my favorite part. Add some patriotic candies on top and you’ve got yourself the easiest, BEST summer treat!
- For the Bars:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the Frosting:
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Sprinkles, m&m's and white chocolate chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13'' baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Press the sugar cookie mixture gently into an even layer into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes--DON'T over-bake! You'll be tempted, but the bars should just be barely set in the center and the edges wont be browned at all. Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the butter and 2 cups of powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add remaining powdered sugar and vanilla. Add as much milk as needed to reach a good soft frosting consistency. Smooth frosting over the bars and sprinkle with toppings.
Never miss a post! Follow Tastes Better From Scratch on: