This week I’m going to do something a little special. Maybe I’ll call it “Back to the Basics!” Every day this week I’ll be sharing one of my favorite “basic” recipes. Those recipes that everyone loves (like Chocolate Chip Cookies…hint hint 😉 ) and everyone needs a great recipe for! I wont give any more away, but I’m really excited to share some total classic recipes here on the blog!
We just got hit with a huge snow storm last night so I’m starting the week off with this classic lasagna recipe that you can make in your slow cooker!
Want to hear something sad? My Dad and oldest brother don’t eat cheese! Seriously. They wont touch it! No cheddar, no mozzarella, no parmesan…nothing! How can you live a life without cheese??! That means that Lasagna, one of the most delicious meals of all time, was a rare specialty at our house. Whenever my mom would make it, (usually when Dad was out of town) the rest of us would be SO excited! It was gobbled up in minutes!
But for as delicious as lasagna is, it can be time consuming. That’s why I LOVE to make mine in the slow cooker. You don’t even have to pre-cook the noodles! Just layer sauce, noodles, cheese and repeat. Let it cook for a few hours and BAM! Tasty homemade Slow Cooker Lasagna with hardly any mess! I make my mom’s awesome homemade spaghetti sauce for the sauce, but you could use any marinara sauce you like! You could also cook it with slow cooker liners to make clean up super easy!
UPDATE: 3/8/16: After comments that the lasagna was a little too runny I reduced the water to 1 1/4 cups in the recipe!
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage (I use hot)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped*
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 (8 oz) package regular lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat brown the ground beef, Italian sausage and onion. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, and water. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes. (You could make the sauce in advance!)
- Spread a fourth of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker. Arrange a third of the noodles over the sauce (break the noodles to fit, if necessary). Combine the mozzarella, cottage cheese and parmesan cheese; spoon a third of the mixture over noodles. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce and sprinkle with extra mozzarella cheese, if desired.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4-5 hours or until noodles are tender.
- *You could substitute 1-2 Tbsp dried minced onion
Looking for some more awesome Slow Cooker recipes?! Try these:
*This post contains affiliate links