I’ve mentioned before how much I love Appetizer Party Foods! It’s really a shame I’ve waited this long to share these Loaded Potato Skins with you all because seriously, they’re the BOMB! Have you ever had them before? Sometime if we’re at a restaurant that serves them as an appetizer I’ll order them for my main course. I love them that much! This homemade version is completely spot-on, restaurant quality. And the best part is that they’re CHEAP and EASY! So you know you can’t go wrong! These will definitely be on our Super Bowl Party menu this year!
- 6 small to medium sized russet potatoes, rinsed clean and pat dry
- 8 oz of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (half of a stick), melted
- Sour cream, for topping
- Chives or green onion, chopped, for topping
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Poke potatoes with a fork, place on a baking sheet and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from the baking sheet, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Once your potatoes are cooled, use a sharp bread knife and cut each lengthwise, into three sections, creating three long slices. (So each potato should yield two skins, plus a middle section that you can either discard, use to make something else, or keep to make some extra potato skins without the skin 🙂 )
- Once you've cut all the potatoes, use a small spoon to scoop out about 70 percent of the potato to make a little boat. You still want to have a thick layer of potato near the skin, but you want it to be slightly hollowed-out in the middle to create a "boat".
- Turn your oven on to a high broil. Brush the potatoes with butter on the inside and outside and place them back onto the baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Broil for 7-8 minutes until the insides get a bit crispy from the melted butter. Remove from the oven and add a generous amount of shredded cheese into each skin, topping with bacon pieces. Place back under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with sour cream and chives or green onion. Serve warm.
Looking for more fun appetizer ideas?! Try these: