This delicious and easy Pumpkin Cake recipe could be my favorite cake of the season with its perfect texture, blend of spices, and smooth cream cheese frosting.
It’s a real shame that Pumpkin season isn’t a year-round thing because I have so many favorite pumpkin recipes and not nearly enough time to make them all! Be sure to try my Pumpkin Roll and Pumpkin Pancakes.
This is my all time favorite pumpkin spice cake recipe, and it can be adapted to make cupcakes, or even a 2 layer cake. It’s easy to make and tastes amazing!
How to make Pumpkin Cake:
Combine Wet Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl combine sugars, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil and vanilla.
Mix Dry Ingredients: In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Add dry ingredients to bowl with the pumpkin mixture then stir to combine.
Bake: Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Frost the Cake: Beat butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, mixing well for 2-3 minutes. Mix in vanilla and cinnamon.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting can be made ahead and stored in the fridge (covered well) for 2-3 days.
To Freeze: Frosted Pumpkin Cake freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
SOME OF MY FAVORITE PUMPKIN RECIPES INCLUDE:
- Pumpkin Cookies with Caramel Frosting
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Follow me for more great recipes
- 2 cups pumpkin puree , canned or homemade
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 1 cup oil , vegetable or canola
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.Grease a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugars, eggs, pumpkin puree, oil and vanilla.
- In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl with the pumpkin mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, mixing well for 2-3 minutes. Mix in vanilla and cinnamon.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe September 2015. Updated October 2020 and September 2023.
This post contains affiliate links.