Who doesn’t love a delicious hot breakfast in the morning without any work?! I LOVE, love, love this overnight breakfast casserole. You throw it together the night before, and then you stick it in your fridge until morning. In the morning you simply pop it in the oven for an hour and, viola, the yummiest breakfast casserole, without any work or fuss!
Start by lining the bottom of a 9×13” pan with slices of white bread. (I’ve found that plain old white sandwich bread works best for soaking up the liquid from the casserole).
Top the bread with fresh grated cheese. I use Colby jack, but feel free to experiment with your favorite kind of cheese!
Add browned sausage, onions, bell peppers and green chiles on top. The green chiles add great flavor, and a little bit of spice. Feel free to substitute a mild salsa.
Next, mix the eggs, milk and spices in a bowl. Pour the mixture over the casserole. Cover it with plastic wrap, or a lid, and refrigerate until morning. Bake it in the morning until the top is set. The center may look a little soft, which is fine. It will continue to cook and set up as it cools.
This is the perfect breakfast casserole for times holidays, Christmas morning, wedding or baby showers, or any other occasion where you might have company or want to relax in the morning. Heck, I’d even make this for a regular morning, just because it tastes so good and the leftovers taste great reheated, for several days.
I also love this recipe because it’s really easy to adapt to what you like. You can add more veggies, or different veggies, like mushrooms or spinach. You could substitute salsa, for the green chiles, or use your favorite kind of cheese. I like to serve it with avocado slices, to balance out the flavors. Hope you enjoy it!
Consider trying these breakfast favorites:
- German Pancakes
- Easy Homemade Egg Benedict
- Classic French Toast
- Breakfast Quessadillas
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
- Cheesy Egg, Avocado, and Ham Breakfast Sausages
Overnight Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 6-8 slices white bread , crust removed
- 4 cups freshly shredded colby jack cheese , or cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces pork sausage
- 1/4 medium onion , chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Remove the crust from the bread slices. Lightly butter or grease a 9x13'' baking pan.
- Arrange the bread slices in the baking dish to cover the bottom of the pan, with no spaces.
- Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces. Drain Grease and remove to plate.
- Add onions and bell peppers to skillet and saute until slightly tender, 3-5 minutes. Add green chiles.
- Sprinkle freshly grated cheese evenly over the the bread in the 9x13'' pan. Add the cooked sausage evenly on top, followed by the onions, bell pepper, and green chiles.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add milk, salt, paprika, oregano, black pepper, garlic powder, and dry mustard and whisk well to combine.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture as you pour it evenly all over the top of the assembled casserole. Cover baking dish and place in the refrigerator overnight (or refrigerate for at least 6 hours)
In the morning:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake (uncovered) for 50-60 minutes or until center is set and outside edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into it and serving.
Adapted from Our Best Bites
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.