I can’t think of a more popular party snack than Muddy Buddies (Puppy Chow), made with Chex cereal coated in a chocolate, peanut butter and powdered powdered sugar.
Looking for a more fun snack ideas? You may like these Chocolate Chip Muffins, No Bake Granola Bars, or Classic Chocolate Cupcakes.
Did you grow up calling this amazing snack “muddy buddies”, or “puppy chow?” Or maybe you called it “Monkey Munch” or “reindeer chow?” We grew up saying muddy buddies, but I think puppy chow more accurately represents the scene as people race to scarf down this favorite snack.
What I LOVE about Puppy Chow:
- Adaptable: make this recipe your own with any kind of add-in (see ideas below).
- Feeds a crowd: it’s so easy to throw this snack together and you can make enough to feed a large group. (And trust me, your going to need enough to feed a large group!)
- Shelf life: You can make it ahead of time, or freeze it!
How to Make Muddy Buddies:
1. Pour Chex into a bowl. Set aside.
2. Divide powdered sugar. Divide powdered sugar between two ziplock bags, adding 1 cup to each bag.* Set aside.
3. Melt in saucepan: chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter (and salt, if using unsalted butter) and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. (Don’t over-heat it, you want to heat it just until the mixture is smooth.)
4. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Coat cereal. Pour over the prepared cereal in the bowl and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. Shake with powdered sugar. Divide coated cereal between the two ziplock bags with powdered sugar, seal the bag and shake to coat the cereal.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: Muddy buddies will stay fresh for up to 1 week stored in an air-tight container at room temperature
To freeze: Place muddy buddies in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 2 months.
Substitutions and Add-in’s:
- Peanut butter substitutes: any type of nut butter will work
- Cereal Substitutes: Crispix could also be used.
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Add M&M’s
- Add Reeses pieces
- Add Mini chocolate chips
- Add Reeses peanut butter cups
- Add Any small color candies
Try one of these cereal treats:
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
- 8 cups chex cereal (rice Chex, corn Chex or a combination)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter , or add a pinch salt if using unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Measure cereal into a large bowl. Set aside. Divide powdered sugar between two ziplock bags, adding 1 cup to each bag.* Set aside.
- In a saucepan add chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter (and salt, if using unsalted butter) and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until melted and smooth. (Don’t over-heat it--just warm it until melted and smooth.)
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour over the prepared cereal in the bowl and stir to coat evenly. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Divide coated cereal between the two ziplock bags with powdered sugar, seal the bag and shake to coat the cereal.
- Muddy buddies will stay fresh for up to 1 week stored in an air-tight container at room temperature or can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Reeses pieces
- Mini chocolate chips
- Reeses peanut butter cups
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Any small color candies
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Has anyone had their chocolate seize up when you add the vanilla? is there any way to save it once it does?
Yes, and I was coming to the comments to see if anyone else had the issue and figured how to resolve
I never new it was only good for a week when I was a kid I would have a giant bag of it from November to January
Can chunky peanut butter be used,
You sure can! Sounds amazing.
This is not the right recipe. There’s too much chocolate and too much peanut butter and not enough chex.
It should be 9 cups chex. 1 cup chocolate. 1/2 cup of pb. The rest of the above is correct. Make it the way thus recipe reads and its not right. The powerd sugar will not cover the chex.
Also the tons of adds is a pain.
How rude. You act as if there’s only one way to make a recipe. This is exactly how I like my puppy chow- lots of chocolate. The recipe on the Chex box doesn’t have enough chocolate to cover the cereal, in my opinion. This way tastes much better to me. To each their own! Don’t yuck someone else’s yum 😉
We called it puppy chow. Because if you fed your puppy, puppy chow brand., It was squares, and coated in a dried milk coating.
I got the original recipe from my grandma before it had a name.
If you don’t have a plastic bag you can pour the powdered sugar in the bowl and mix it in to coat the cereal.
Just like my mom used to make!