Instant Pot Lemon Basil Chicken and Rice is a simple and easy dinner that even the pickiest eaters will love. White rice and chicken cooked in the instant pot with broth, a hint of lemon juice and topped with fresh basil.
The Instant Pot continues to save the day with another all-in-one dinner. I always get excited to share instant pot recipes where you can throw all of the raw ingredients together, and dinner is ready in just a few minutes!
This recipe was inspired by the one pan lemon basil chicken recipe that’s already on my site, and already a favorite with my family. It was one of the first recipes I wanted to test when I got my instant pot last year, and the end result is exactly what I hoped it would be.
Perfectly flavorful and tender rice, with juicy seasoned chicken and fresh basil. What a simple dinner, but it’s comforting and delicious in it’s simplicity.
How to make Instant Pot Lemon Basil Chicken and Rice:
I developed and tested this recipe in my 6-QUART INSTANT POT.
Cut the chicken into small pieces (that way it will cook at the same rate as the rice).
Turn the instant pot to saute and add the oil. You can use olive oil, canola or vegetable oil. Cook the chicken for a few seconds, tossing it to cook on all sides. You don’t want to cook it all the way through, we just want to seal in the flavor from the spices, and give it a head start.
Remove chicken to a plate and turn the instant pot off.
Add butter to the hot instant pot. As it melts, use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan from the chicken and spices.
Add the rice, chicken broth and lemon juice to the pan and stir to combine. Smooth the rice into an even layer under the liquid. Add the chicken pieces on top.
Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Turn on to manual or high pressure and set the timer for 3 minutes.
Can I use brown rice instead of white?
Can I make it on the stovetop?
Don’t miss these popular Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Lemon Basil Chicken and Rice
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice , uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and dried basil.
- Turn instant pot on to saute setting. Add oil. Once hot, add chicken and cook, tossing to cook on all sides for 1 minute (chicken will not be cooked through.) Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Turn Instant pot off.
- Add butter to the instant pot and use a a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rice, chicken broth and lemon juice. Place chicken pieces on top.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 3 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then vent to release remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and sprinkle fresh basil over the rice. Gently fluff the rice mixture with a fork (don't stir it).
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE this recipe and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.