This easy French Toast recipe is the BEST, with a thicker batter and cinnamon sugar flavors that really set it apart. It’s one of our family’s favorite breakfasts!
If I offered up breakfast options for a family vote, everyone would choose this classic French Toast recipe, served with fresh fruit, syrup and whipped cream! We’ve been making it for decades, and it’s truly the best french toast recipe!
How to Make French Toast:
Combine Ingredients: Add of the ingredients, except the bread, to a blender or shallow dish and mix to combine.
Dip Bread: Dip each bread slice into the egg mixture, dredging on both sides.
Cook: Place bread on hot greased griddle or large skillet. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden.
Serve: I love to serve this easy french toast warm, with homemade syrup and a side of berries!
Bread: I recommend using thick sliced bread, like Sara Lee Artesano, Texas Toast, or leftover homemade bread. It’s nice (but not necessary) if the bread is a few days old, or slightly stale. We also loving using thick slices of cinnamon bread or brioche!
Flour: My Secret Ingredient! The flour helps to make more of a “batter” for dipping the bread, which yields extra fluffy and delicious french toast. If mixing the batter by hand, start by mixing flour and eggs, then add the milk and remaining ingredients.
Milk: Any kind of milk will work (even dairy free), but the the higher fat milk, the creamier the batter will be. Whole milk works great and you could even add a little splash of cream if you want.
More French Toast Recipes:
- Crunchy French Toast
- Brioche French Toast
- French Toast Roll Ups
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Eggnog French Toast
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Baked French Toast Casserole
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The batter can be made 1-2 days ahead of time, depending on the freshness of your ingredients.
To Freeze: Allow french toast to cool completely and store in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Rewarm on a skillet, in the toaster, or for a few seconds in the microwave.
Follow me for more great recipes
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 thick slices bread
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F or or heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add all ingredients, except the bread, to a blender or to a shallow dish and whisk well to combine. If whisking by hand, mix flour and eggs together first, then add remaining ingredients.
- Dip bread slices into the batter, dredging them well on both sides, and place on hot, greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the bottom of the breads starts to get golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side the same.
- Remove to a plate. Serve warm with syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe in February 2015. Updated April 2018, June 2021 and October 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I love to share the products I use with you guys!