This classic French Toast recipe is easy, uses simple pantry ingredients, and has a secret ingredient that makes a thicker batter with cinnamon sugar flavors that really set it apart. It’s one of our family’s favorite breakfasts!
If I offered up breakfast options for a family vote, everyone would choose this classic French Toast recipe, served with fresh fruit, syrup and whipped cream! We’ve been making it for decades!
How to Make French Toast:
- Add of the ingredients, except the bread, to a blender or shallow dish and whisk well to combine.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, dredging them on both sides.
- Place bread on hot preheated griddle or large skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden. Serve warm, with our homemade syrup!
Bread: I like to use thick sliced bread, like Sara Lee Artesano, Texas Toast, or leftover homemade bread. It’s nice (but not necessary) if the bread is a few days old, or slightly stale. Even try using cinnamon toast, or brioche!
Flour: My Secret Ingredient! The flour helps to make more of a “batter” for dipping the bread, which yields extra fluffy and delicious french toast. If whisking by hand you may not be able to get the flour completely smooth, but the small lumps of flour wont matter once the french toast is cooked. Otherwise, use a blender to blend everything until smooth, but don’t over-mix it.
Milk: Any kind of milk will work (even dairy free), but the the higher fat milk, the creamier the batter will be. Whole milk works great and you could even add a little splash of cream if you want.
- Crunchy French Toast
- Brioche French Toast
- French Toast Roll Ups
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Eggnog French Toast
- Air Fryer French Toast
- Baked French Toast Casserole
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: The batter can be made 1-2 days ahead of time, depending on the freshness of your ingredients.
To Freeze: Allow french toast to cool completely and store in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Rewarm on a skillet, in the toaster, or for a few seconds in the microwave.
Classic French Toast
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 thick slices bread
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F or or heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add all ingredients, except the bread, to a blender or to a shallow dish and whisk well to combine. If whisking by hand, it’s okay if the flour doesn’t mix in completely smooth.
- Dip bread slices into the batter, dredging them well on both sides, and place on hot, greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook for a few minutes, until the bottom of the breads starts to get golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side the same.
- Remove to a plate. Serve warm with syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe in February 2015. Updated April 2018 and June 2021.
This post contains affiliate links. I love to share the products I use with you guys!