These chocolate chip Spider Cookies are are so fun and easy to make with pantry ingredients and no special equipment or skills required. They’re the funnest cool and creepy Halloween cookies!
Looking for more Halloween recipes? Try these Spider Cupcakes, Mini Halloween Pizzas, Graveyard Halloween Brownies, or Roasted Pumpkin Seeds!
Why I love this Halloween treat:
- No Special Equipment – Anyone can now make a cool, spooky, Halloween treat without ANY special equipment or advanced skill!
- Crowd Pleaser – Everyone loves a classic chocolate chip cookie, so these spooky treats are always a party favorite when it comes to Halloween cookies!
- Quick – Short on time? These cookies will be done and ready for Halloween festivities in less than 30 minutes!
How to make Spider Cookies:
Make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Scoop cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 325°F for 10-12 minutes.
Top with a few Chocolate Chips: Remove from oven and place 3-4 chocolate chips on each cookie, point side up.
Melt Chocolate Chips: Melt remaining chocolate chips in in a double boiler or in a microwave safe bowl on low power, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted.
Make Spider Design: Pour melted chocolate in a small ziplock bag and make a very small hole in one corner. Draw spider legs on the sides of the chocolate chips to make Spider Cookies.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Store leftover Halloween cookies in an airtight container for 1-2 days, or freeze for another day for maximum freshness.
To Freeze: Place cooled cookies in an air-tight freezer safe container or bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Halloween Desserts:
Follow me for more great recipes
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons butter , melted and cooled until warm
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips , divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently stir in ¾ cup chocolate chips. The dough will be soft.
- Scoop dough into balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place 3-4 chocolate chips into the tops of each cookie, point side up.
- Add remaining chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl and microwave, on low power, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted.
- Spoon the melted chocolate into a ziplock bag. Use scissors to cut the smallest slit from one of the corners (you want the hole to be very small to make your spider legs). Squeeze the melted chocolate through the small hole, next to the chocolate chips on top of the cookie, to make 8 spider legs.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
I originally shared this recipe October 2015. Updated October 2022.
This post contains affiliate links. I love sharing my favorite products with you!
So disappointed that the whole mixture melted into one ginormous cookie that took 30 mlns to cook!! I had converted the American weights into grams but maybe something got lost in translation. Hope the broken bits taste good!
I think something must have went wrong with the conversion! So sorry to hear this and I hope you were able to enjoy some of it!
Such a cute and brilliant idea! My grandson and I had fun making these. Everybody was surprised and spooked to discover spiders on their chocolate chip cookies!!
Loved this recipe!! The cookies were delicious !! I did half the amount of chocolate chips as it was way too much for me and they still had loads in them !! I did cook.for an extra 2 mins also. I got 15 large cookies out of this so I used Maltesers for the body of the ‘parent’ spiders and chcolate chips.for ‘babies’!! Piped legs as per instructions !!
can i just add chocolate chips before i bake the cookies?
i liked to try the recipe but scared to add chocolate chips afterwards.
Sure, they just wont poke out as much, to make the “body” of the spider.
I made these for Halloween and got raves on the cookie itself. If I make them for Christmas without the spiders do I just add 2 cups of chocolate chips to the batter?
Im so happy to hear that! Yes, this recipe is just adapted from my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/perfect-chocolate-chip-cookies/
We loved this recipe. The cookies came out perfect and I put the last batch in the fridge to get an extra puff out of them. We did bake them a little longer, by perhaps two minutes, but they were absolutely delicious.
See More Comments