Chocolate Cake with Oreo Cream Filling is a two layer-cake with a creamy Oreo filling and chocolate buttercream frosting. An Oreo lover’s dream!
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen my little sneak peak of this amazing Chocolate Cake with Oreo Cream Filling that I made for my husband’s birthday last week. This is the first year since I’ve known him that he hasn’t had what we call “dot cake”. The funfetti boxed cake with the rainbow chip frosting.
Please tell me you’re familiar with Betty Crocker’s rainbow chip frosting?! We pretty much went into depression at our house because they discontinued making it! Yes, I’m all about cooking from scratch, but seriously, that rainbow chip frosting was the best store bought frosting invented. And without warning, BAM! It’s gone. So sad.
Anyways, since we can’t buy rainbow chip anymore I let him choose any other cake in the world he wanted. He has a pretty serious oreo addiction, so I wasn’t surprised when he requested “any type of cake with oreos!”
Have you ever tried baking something with oreos inside the batter? Maybe you’ve had better success than me, but every time I’ve tried Oreo filled cookies or brownies (that are so popular on Pinterest), I thought they were terrible. You couldn’t taste the oreo! This oreo cream filling solved the problem for me! It’s amazing! A delicious buttercream frosting with big oreo cookie chunks. Pair it with this awesome chocolate cake and my all-time-favorite chocolate frosting recipe and you’ve got one killer delicious cake! New family favorite for sure! (I don’t even think he missed his dot cake 🙂 )
Consider trying these popular desserts:
- German Chocolate Cake
- Snickerdoodles Bars
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake
- Mrs. Fields Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Cake with Oreo Cream Filling
For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Oreo Cream Filling
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper and then spray well with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla, milk and sour cream and mix until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully pour in the boiling water. Beat on high speed for 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared cake pans. Bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pans. Invert cakes onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. (Once cooled I like to wrap them really well in plastic wrap and then tinfoil and freeze them until the next day, when I frost them. They're easiest to frost frozen!)
For the Oreo Cream Filling
- Beat the softened butter with electric mixers until light in color, about 3 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar, ½ a cup at a time. Beat well to combine between each addition.
- Add vanilla and milk and mix well. For thinner frosting add a little more milk. For thicker frosting add a little more powdered sugar. Fold in chopped Oreo cookie pieces. Spread filling over the top of one of the cake rounds. Top with the second cake round. Cover the cakes with chocolate frosting.
For the frosting
- Add cocoa powder to a bowl with the melted butter and mix well to combine. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating until your reach your desired spreading consistency.
- Stir in vanilla.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.