Egg and Avocado in a Hole is my kids favorite breakfast and I love it because it’s simple and fast!
I SOO look forward to a delicious breakfast on Saturday mornings. Sometimes I go fancy, like my favorite Eggs Benedict, or these amazing Strawberry Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Other times I keep it simple like this amazing Avocado and Egg Toast!
This was one of my favorite breakfasts growing up, and I still make it quite often. We always called it “Toad in a Hole” and I know a lot of people call it “Egg in a Basket”. It’s the perfect breakfast–and great for a hungry toddler too! I love traditional egg in a whole, but adding an avocado and cheese just raises the bar! You could even add a big spoonful of salsa on top.
CONSIDER TRYING THESE BREAKFAST FAVORITES:
- Classic French Toast
- German Pancakes
- Breakfast Quessadillas
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
- Cheesy Egg, Avocado, and Ham Breakfast Sausages
Avocado and Egg in a Hole
- 2 slices bread (I like to use a crusty sourdough)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 avocado
- butter (for spreading on bread)
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- Turn your oven on to a high broil.
- Slice the avocado length-wise to get long, thin pieces.
- Butter the top side of each piece of bread. Cut a whole in the bread big enough to fit two avocado slices around the outside, and an egg in the center.
- Melt a few teaspoons of butter in a large, oven proof skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the bread to the skillet and place 2 avocado slices around the outer rim of the circle.
- Crack an egg into the center of the circle. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until the bottom of the bread is nicely browned.
- Carefully flip to the other side and cook for 2 minutes more, until browned.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of cheese over each piece of toast.
- Place the skillet in the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.