The BEST recipe for fluffy, amazing buttermilk pancakes! There’s nothing yummier than a big delicious stack of homemade pancakes!
My kids really look forward to a special breakfast on the weekends. We often make crepes, or one of our favorite pancake recipes like German pancakes, or Belgian Waffles. They’re become a little spoiled because I also usually make homemade pancake syrup, which really is liquid gold and so easy to make!
Breakfast foods like pancakes and waffles are the type of meals that were always homemade at our house growing up. I’ll be honest–it turned me into a bit of a breakfast snob. But really, why use a box mix when they are so easssssy to make from scratch?
The ingredients are simple pantry staples and the whole process only takes a few minutes to make. No one can resist a stack of delicious homemade buttermilk pancakes, and this recipe is fantastic! The most light, fluffy, buttery pancakes.
Some tips for making perfect pancakes:
No substitute for good buttermilk.
I will admit that I am one to easily use the milk/lemon juice trick (1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice) as a buttermilk substitute in a recipe when I’m in a pinch and don’t have any on hand. However, since this recipe uses 2 cups of buttermilk I would strongly urge you to buy the real deal! It’s thicker and creamier and will taste so much better. Plus, it’s super inexpensive. I would also give the container a little shake before measuring the buttermilk and adding it to the batter.
Do not over-mix the batter.
Resist the urge to mix the pancake batter until it’s completely smooth.When you combine the wet and dry ingredients together just mix it to incorporate everything. It’s okay if it’s slightly lumpy with streaks of flour. If you mix the batter too much it causes the gluten to develop in the flour and your pancakes will be chewier instead of fluffy, like we want them.
Do not pat down pancakes.
Another urge you may need to resist is using your flipping spatula to pat down on the pancakes while they cook. Don’t do it, or you’re “squishing” the air pockets that are helping make the pancakes light and fluffy.
Do not flip the pancakes more than once.
Wait until you see small bubbles rise to the surface of your pancakes, and then it’s ready to flip. Just flip it ONCE and cook it on the other side until it’s done. It wont take long.
Hope you enjoy the BEST buttermilk pancakes, ever!
CONSIDER TRYING THESE BREAKFAST FAVORITES:
- Classic French Toast
- German Pancakes
- Breakfast Quessadillas
- Buttermilk Pancakes
- Egg and Sausage Breakfast Taquitos
- Cheesy Egg, Avocado, and Ham Breakfast Sausages
The BEST recipe for fluffy, amazing buttermilk pancakes! There's nothing yummier than a big delicious stack of homemade pancakes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk , to thin batter
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees F (or heat a large skillet to medium). Grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter and mix just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. You don't want to over-mix the batter.
- Add milk, a little at a time until batter is still thick, but pourable.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop batter and pour on hot griddle. Cook pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip once.
- Serve warm with syrup!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.