Ditch the box mix and never look back with the BEST Buttermilk Pancakes recipe! They’re big and fluffy and the taste just can’t be beat!
Do you love breakfast? Try my Blueberry Coffee Cake, Classic French Toast, or Strawberry Crepes!
Why these are the BEST Pancakes:
- Pantry Ingredients – You probably already have everything you need, and you can easily make your own buttermilk if you don’t have it on hand.
- Quick to Make – Only 5 minutes to prep!
- Delicious – No one can resist a stack of light, buttery, and fluffy buttermilk pancakes! Especially with our homemade syrup on top!
How to make Buttermilk Pancakes:
Combine dry ingredients. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
Add wet ingredients. Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter and mix just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. You don’t want to over-mix the batter.
Add milk, a little at a time until batter is still thick, but pourable.
Cook pancakes. Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop batter and pour on hot griddle. Cook pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip once.
Serve with the BEST homemade syrup!
Tips for Perfect Pancakes:
- Use buttermilk. Buttermilk is a key ingredient in these pancakes and I would strongly urge you to buy the real deal! It’s thicker, creamier, inexpensive, and will taste so much better. Be sure to shake the container before measuring the buttermilk and adding it to the batter.
- If you can’t get buttermilk, substitute homemade buttermilk.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Resist the urge to mix the pancake batter until it’s completely smooth. It’s okay if it’s slightly lumpy with streaks of flour. If you mix the batter too much it causes the gluten to develop in the flour and your pancakes will be chewier instead of fluffy.
- Don’t pat down the pancakes. Another urge you may need to resist is using your flipping spatula to pat down on the pancakes while they cook. Don’t do it, or you’re “squishing” the air pockets that are helping make the pancakes light and fluffy.
- Don’t flip more than once. Wait until you see small bubbles rise to the surface of your pancakes, and then it’s ready to flip. Just flip it ONCE and cook it on the other side until it’s done. It won’t take long.
Storage and Freezing Instructions:
To Store: Keep leftover pancakes in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat for a few seconds in the microwave or in the toaster oven.
To Freeze: After cooking homemade buttermilk pancakes, lay them in a single layer on a large baking tray and place them in the freezer. Allow them to harden for about 30 minutes, then stack them in a freezer safe container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. The “flash freeze” will help keep them from sticking to each other.
Blueberry Pancakes: Pour pancake batter on hot griddle and sprinkle with blueberries, before flipping to cook on the other side.
Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Pour pancake batter on hot griddle and sprinkle with chocolate chips, before flipping to cook on the other side.
FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 Tablespoons milk , to thin batter
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees F (or heat a large skillet to medium). Grease with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Add buttermilk, eggs and melted butter and mix just until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. You don't want to over-mix the batter.
- Add milk, a little at a time until batter is still thick, but pourable.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop batter and pour on hot griddle. Cook pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface, then flip once.
- Serve warm with syrup!
- Blueberry Pancakes: Pour pancake batter on hot griddle and sprinkle with blueberries, before flipping to cook on the other side. Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Pour pancake batter on hot griddle and sprinkle with chocolate chips, before flipping to cook on the other side.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
*I originally shared this recipe June 2017. Updated March 2020 and August 2021.
SO DELICIOUS! I’d really recommend making these!
Love these pancakes!! I used cocoa butter instead of regular butter and added in chocolate chips, perfect amount of sweetness.
THANK You For Sharing Lauren 👍🏼These Look Awesome 😋❗️I QUIT buying ALOT Of Shelf products BC There’s SO Many chemicals in them 👎🏼 Thanks Again ❗️G-d♥️Bless😊
Very tasty! I love the tangy flavor of the buttermilk.
Fantastic! They are delicious.
I need to try this one 😂
I thought Lou Mitchel’s in Chicago were the best Pancakes I ever had, not anymore, these are the bomb!
Perfect! Fluffy, flavorful, brown nicely on the comal!
Made these cakes this morning with fresh maple syrup. Easy and delicious. yum yum
Very good! I have a new pancake recipe. I halved the recipe and that was more than enough for 3 people. I would also recommend letting it sit on the counter before pouring onto the griddle so the buttermilk has time to work with the other ingredients.
See More Comments