If you’re anything like me, you may go to the Olive Garden purely for their “endless buffet of salad and breadsticks”! It’s the main thing that gets me there! I go carb crazy with their breadsticks–they’re soo yummy! Jeff and I always order something yummy from the menu but end of chowing down on so many breadsticks and so much salad that we end up taking our dinner in a to-go box.
I love this homemade version of Olive Garden Breadsticks! The dough bakes up so light and airy and the garlic topping is just perfect! I don’t think you’ll find us at Olive Garden quite as often now that we can make their breadsticks from home!
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 3 - 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Measure warm water in a liquid measuring cup. Add yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar and mix until yeast dissolves. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, add yeast mixture, remaining 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp sugar, 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp salt and vegetable oil and mix to combine.
- Add in remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and knead mixture for 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl but still be slightly sticky. Add remaining 1/4 cup of flour, if needed.
- Transfer dough to a large, greased bowl and cover with a dry towel or plastic wrap. Allow to rest in a warm place until double in size (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- Once risen, punch dough down and divide it into 12 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a 9in rope and transfer to a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise again for 1 hour.
- (I sprayed the top of my breadsticks with cooking spray to help them get golden while baking.)
- Bake breadsticks at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- While the breadsticks bake, mix the garlic butter topping ingredients together. Brush butter mixture over the tops of the hot, cooked breadsticks. Serve warm. Store in a airtight container.
Looking for something yummy to serve them with? Try: