A moist, buttery, breakfast cake with an inner layer of sweet strawberry filling and a delicious crumb topping!
I love any excuse to make a delicious sweet breakfast treat, and Mother’s Day is the perfect holiday for that! My sister and I would always be in charge of making breakfast for our Mom on Mother’s Day, but now that I am a mother myself, I still like to do it 🙂
Jeff has stepped up to the plate on many occasions and surprised me with breakfast, but since I love to cook and bake so much, I also love making things for myself! haha. Take my birthday, for example. I LOVE making my own birthday cake! That will never fail to be FUN for me!
I usually always make The Ultimate Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, since it’s my all time favorite, and I (of course) let Jeff take care of any other surprises 🙂 .
This Strawberry Coffee Cake is seriously one of the best EVER. It comes out perfectly moist and fluffy and the flavor is to die for. The homemade strawberry filling with a buttery crumb cake is the perfect combination! If you love your mom, your wife, even your sister or daughter….you should make this cake! They’ll be happy, and you’ll be a hero.
And if you don’t just want to reserve this amazing cake for Mother’s Day, you’d be smart to find any excuse to make it. It’s just THAT good!
Consider trying these popular brunch recipes:
- Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Coffee Cake
- Peach Scones
- Poppy Seed Cake
- Broccoli Cheese Quiche
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
Strawberry Coffee Cake
For the strawberry filling
For the Crumb Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare strawberry filling
- In a small saucepan whisk together ¼ cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in cold water and lemon juice. Add diced strawberries.
- Stir mixture over medium heat, just until it reaches a light boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Prepare crumb topping
- In a medium size mixing bowl add ⅓ cup flour, 1 ½ Tbsp sugar and 2 ½ Tbsp butter. Cut ingredients together with a pastry blender until fluffy and well combined. Add brown sugar and stir with a fork. Set aside.
Prepare the cake
- In a small bowl stir together 1 ¾ cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another mixing bowl add 7 Tbsp softened butter and 1 cup sugar.
- Beat with electric mixer for several minutes, until mixture is pale and fluffy. Mix in egg and vanilla. Stir in the sour cream.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk in two separate batches and mix just until combine. (Don't overmix!)
Assemble the cake
- Evenly spread ½ of the cake batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Spoon strawberry mixture over batter layer and gently spread evenly.
- Dollop remaining cake batter by the spoonfuls over strawberry mixture and gently spread batter into an even layer. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
© TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, use your own photo, and re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.