So if Jessica posted a lemon pie recipe that claimed to be “the best ever”, it meant it had Bryce’s stamp of approval, and it really must be the best!
So, I made the pie that Friday night.
And I made it again on Saturday night.
I’ve made it dozens of times since, and I completely agree that it’s the Best Lemon Sour Cream Pie recipe!
It has the perfect level of lemon tartness combined with the perfect level of creaminess. And, I love how easy it is to make!
The process for making this lemon sour cream pie is really simple. Here are some step-by-step photos to walk you through it, and I’ve also included a video, below.
Start by adding sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and milk to a saucepan. Stir everything together until smooth.
Add the egg yolks to a bowl and whisk them together.
Heat the mixture in the saucepan. Stir it often, until it begins to thicken and bubble. Reduce heat to low and cook it for two more minutes.
At this point it’s time to add the eggs, but we need to temper them first, with the hot liquid. If you add the beaten egg yolks right away then you’ll end up with scrambled eggs in the pudding.
To temper the eggs, add a spoonful of the hot mixture from the saucepan, into the bowl with the eggs. Whisk it well. Add another few spoonfuls, whisking the mixture after each addition, until the egg yolks are pale yellow.
Then, add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Stir everything until smooth, and continue to cook the mixture until it comes to a low boil. Cook it got two more minutes, then remove it from heat.
Add butter and lemon zest and stir until smooth. Allow the pudding to cool for at least 15-20 minutes, and then stir in the sour cream.
Pour the pudding into a blind-baked (already cooked) pie shell. At this point you can refrigerate the pie for 2-3 hours, and then top with fresh whipped cream, or make the whipped cream and top it immediatly, and then refrigerate for a few hours.
Make sure to let the pie refrigerate for a few hours to give it time to set up, before you cut it. The last thing we want is the pudding mixture to pool into the center of the pie when you remove your first slice!
How to make pie crust:
This lemon sour cream pie is absolutely fantastic and beloved by our family. I hope you all enjoy it just as much!
Consider trying these homemade pie recipes:
- Cherry pie
- Pumpkin Pie with Caramel Pecan Topping
- Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Oreo Cheesecake Pie
- Lemon Chiffon Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Triple Berry Pie
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Lemon Sour Cream Pie
- Stand Mixer optional
- 1 9-inch homemade pie crust , baked and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoon + 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons)
- 3 large egg yolks , lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- Zest of one lemon , about ½ tablespoon
- 1 cup sour cream
For whipped cream topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Crack eggs in a small bowl, beat slightly with a fork and set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and fresh lemon juice and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbling.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for two more minutes. Add a spoonful of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and stir well. Repeat this process with two or three more spoonfuls of the hot mixture added to the egg yolks. (The goal is to temper the egg yolks so they don't cook when added to the hot saucepan.) Poor egg mixture into the saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a gentle boil and cook for two more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add softened butter and lemon zest and stir until butter melts completely. Allow mixture to cool and then stir in sour cream. Add filling to your pie shell.
For the topping:
- In a mixing bowl, beat heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer. While beating, add sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over pie filling. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
- Enjoy the best lemon sour cream pie ever!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
this recipe is AMAZING. i followed it as written (with the exception of using bottled lemon juice—that’s all i had) and it was delicious. couldn’t recommend enough!
I think this recipe is a Spring/Summer regular now for me. I thought I had plenty of sour cream but it ended up being unusable so i used yogurt instead. It turned out tangier, but just as delicious!
Absolutely love this recipe! I have made it too many times to count. Just wanted to mention that I have always added the egg yolks at the beginning with the rest of the mixture and brought it to a boil all together. I have never had an issue with the eggs hardening. Thought I’d share because it makes it that much easier!
I didn’t have milk on hand so I replaced it with buttermilk. Still came out amazingly delicious. I’ll probably just keep using buttermilk for when I make it again.
What a delightful recipe. Thank you 🙏
Tried this today . Easy and quite refreshingly tasty . I will make it again .
I have made this twice now and it has been a hit!! So delicious and seriously noticeably better than a standard lemon pie!!
Thanks for the share
Simply amazing pie. Best lemon pie I’ve ever made or had !
best lemon desert I’ve ever tasted, and I’ve had a few. my personal preference is a graham cracker crust and no whip cream topping. pretty easy to make
See More Comments