Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls are egg wash coated chicken covered in a sweet and spicy chipotle sauce served over cilantro lime rice.
Guys, I go crazy for any recipes with chipotle chilies in them. There’s something about that smokey, spicy flavor that I seriously can’t get enough of!! If you’re familiar with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce you know they come in a can (usually in the Mexican food aisle at your grocery store) and you never use the whole can.
A great trick it to FREEZE them! Pour the extra sauce and peppers into a ziplock bag and freeze them until you want to use them in another recipe.
Some of my favorite recipes using chipotle peppers in adobo sauce include:
- Corn Chowder with Chiles
- Chipotle Chicken Wraps
- Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Black Bean Burger with Chipotle Mayo
These Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls knocked my socks off (in the best possible way 🙂 )! I adapted the recipe from Jen over at Carlsbad Cravings and I completely loved it!
Crispy baked chicken tossed in a sweet/tangy/spicy sauce and served over my favorite cilantro lime rice and blacks beans. I also served this with fresh grilled zucchini and yellow squash and fresh steamed broccoli–those sides totally made this dish for me. Everything tasted amazing!
Consider trying these popular recipes:
Sweet Firecracker Chipotle Chicken Bowls
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bit size pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the sauce:
- 1/2 - 1 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (with seeds)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Serve over Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
For the chicken:
- Spray a wire cooling rack with non stick cooking spray and place on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place the egg in a shallow bowl and whisk well.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large ziplock bag.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, and then add to the bag with the flour mixture and shake well to coat evenly.
- Place chicken in a single layer on the prepared wire rack.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until chicken is just barely cooked through.
- Turn the oven to HIGH broil, and place the tray of chicken on the top rack of the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place chicken in a bowl.
For the Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed sauce into a saucepan over medium high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thicken slightly (about 5 minutes total).
- Pour sauce over chicken and gently toss to coat.
- Serve with sauted yellow squash or zucchini and steamed broccoli, over rice.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.