Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls are egg wash coated chicken covered in a sweet and spicy chipotle sauce served over cilantro lime rice.
Guys, I go crazy for any recipes with chipotle chilies in them. There’s something about that smokey, spicy flavor that I seriously can’t get enough of!! If you’re familiar with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce you know they come in a can (usually in the Mexican food aisle at your grocery store) and you never use the whole can.
A great trick it to FREEZE them! Pour the extra sauce and peppers into a ziplock bag and freeze them until you want to use them in another recipe.
Some of my favorite recipes using chipotle peppers in adobo sauce include:
- Corn Chowder with Chiles
- Chipotle Chicken Wraps
- Honey-Lime Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Black Bean Burger with Chipotle Mayo
These Sweetfire Chipotle Chicken Bowls knocked my socks off (in the best possible way 🙂 )! I adapted the recipe from Jen over at Carlsbad Cravings and I completely loved it!
Crispy baked chicken tossed in a sweet/tangy/spicy sauce and served over my favorite cilantro lime rice and blacks beans. I also served this with fresh grilled zucchini and yellow squash and fresh steamed broccoli–those sides totally made this dish for me. Everything tasted amazing!
Consider trying these popular recipes:
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for more great recipes!
Sweet Firecracker Chipotle Chicken Bowls
For the Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bit size pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
For the sauce:
- ½ - 1 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (with seeds)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 small onion
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or green)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Serve over Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
For the chicken:
- Spray a wire cooling rack with non stick cooking spray and place on top of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place the egg in a shallow bowl and whisk well.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a large ziplock bag.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg, and then add to the bag with the flour mixture and shake well to coat evenly.
- Place chicken in a single layer on the prepared wire rack.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until chicken is just barely cooked through.
- Turn the oven to HIGH broil, and place the tray of chicken on the top rack of the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and place chicken in a bowl.
For the Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed sauce into a saucepan over medium high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thicken slightly (about 5 minutes total).
- Pour sauce over chicken and gently toss to coat.
- Serve with sauted yellow squash or zucchini and steamed broccoli, over rice.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
Made this tonight it was delish! A little on the spicy side but so not for my kids at all but the adults devoured it
This is on my go to recipes! Absolutely love it
Thanks so much Grace!
Pinning this immediately !! I’ve always, always, always been afraid of fresh chilies – I’m gonna have to learn to get over it!!