There is no kind of rice that I love to make more than coconut rice! It’s absolutely delicious, served on its own as a side dish, or served in a bowl with a stir-fry of veggies and protein on top. This recipe could not be easier to make! You can use a few different types of rice, but using jasmine rice is my favorite flavor combination.
Ingredients for easy Coconut Rice:
- Canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Light-brown sugar
- Jasmine rice
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional, for serving on top)
4 steps for the EASIEST Coconut Rice recipe:
- Combine ingredients. Add water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan.
- Boil, then stir in rice.
- Simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Rest. Remove from heat and let rest/steam for 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving, if desired.
No jasmine rice on hand? You can substitute long-grain white rice, basmati rice, or even brown rice using the changes below:
- Basmati rice: substitute equal amount with no other changes.
- Long-grain white rice – substitute equal amount with no other changes.
- Brown rice – Follow same instructions but cook for 50 minutes, instead of 15.
For Instant Pot Coconut Rice:
You can make this recipe in the instant pot with a couple modifications. Use 2 cups jasmine rice, 2 cups coconut milk, and 1/2 cup water (along with the salt and brown sugar called for in the recipe). Add all ingredients to the pressure cooker and stir to combine. Cook on high pressure (manual) for 4 minutes. Allow a 10 minute natural release (the valve may release sooner than that but allow the rice to sit for 10 full minutes).
What to serve with coconut rice:
Easy Coconut Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk (shake the can before using)
- 2 tsp light brown sugar , packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Jasmine rice (about 13 oz.), well rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (optional), lightly toasted
- Combine 2 cups water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in large saucepan. Bring to simmer, then stir in rice.
- Return to a gently boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff rice gently with a fork.
- Transfer rice to a bowl; sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared this recipe September 2010. Updated September 2019.