This easy, one-pot American Goulash (aka Beefaroni) is the epitome of comfort food and a meal the entire family will love! It starts with a flavorful homemade meat sauce, then macaroni noodles cooked in the sauce, and finished with a sprinkle of cheese.
If American Goulash is unfamiliar, you might have called this “beefaroni” as a kid. Either way, if you’ve never made this dish from scratch, get ready to lick the bowl clean! It’s flavorful and hearty, and best of all, you can have it on the table in less than 30 minutes with only one pot to wash afterwards!
How to make American Goulash (Beefaroni):
Saute onion in a pan with oil for several minutes. Add garlic. Add ground beef and season well with salt and pepper. Cook, crumbling it into small pieces as it cooks. Add all dry spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, Worcestershire and 1 ½ cups beef broth. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
Pour in an additional ¾ cup broth and uncooked pasta. Cook until pasta is tender.
Stir in cheese that’s been freshly grated, and allow to melt.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: This meal is best served immediately, but leftovers may be stored in a container in the fridge for a few days and reheated in the microwave.
To Freeze: Allow to cool completely then place in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before heating. Add a splash of additional broth when reheating, if needed.
- Instant Pot Beefaroni: Cook onion and ground beef on sauté setting in Instant Pot. Drain grease and add dry spices and cook for 1 minute. Turn off Instant Pot and stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, Worcestershire and 1 ½ cups beef broth (don’t add any additional beef broth). Pour in macaroni noodles, stir, and place lid on seal and set to high pressure for 5 minutes. Do a quick release when finished, stir, and add grated cheese.
- Crock Pot Beefaroni: Cook onion and ground beef on stove. Add dry spices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, Worcestershire and 1 cup beef broth and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours. Cook pasta separately. Add cooked noodles and grated cheese, and stir until cheese has melted.
American Goulash (Beefaroni)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion , finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon EACH garlic powder, and paprika
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried oregano and , chili powder
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth , divided
- 1 ½ cups elbow noodles (8 oz) , uncooked
- 1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet with sides, over medium heat. Add oil. Once hot, add onion and saute for several minutes into tender and translucent. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Push onion to the side and add ground beef and season well with salt and pepper. Cook until browned, crumbling it into very small pieces as it cooks. Add all dry spices and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, sugar, Worcestershire and 1 ½ cups beef broth. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Taste and add additional seasonings, if needed.
- Add additional ¾ cup broth and uncooked pasta. Cook until pasta is tender. Stir in freshly grated cheese and allow to melt. Serve immediately.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.