Growing up my grandma and grandpa had the most amazing garden. Every vegetable you can imagine, and most fruits too. It wasn’t until my grandpa passed away that I realized how much I took it for granted. I enjoyed fresh garden tomatoes all summer long and we had an endless supply of raspberries to make homemade raspberry jam. And we had enough zucchini and yellow squash for a small army.
My heart pretty much melted the other night when I made this Garden Vegetable Pie and my two-year-old exclaimed three times throughout dinner “Thanks for the yummy dinner Mom!” So dang cute. This Garden Vegetable Pie is the perfect meal for using up all of your fresh garden veggies. It’s packed with tomatoes, zucchini, squash and onion, and layered with a delicious cheese spread. I adapted this recipe from my popular Tomato Pie recipe, and I love this one just as much!
- 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and sliced (Roma work best)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into rings
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet or red onion
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or half mayo, half Greek yogurt)
- 2 Tbsp fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes. Use a paper towel to pat-dry the tomatoes and make sure most of the excess juice is out. (You don't want wet (juicy) tomatoes or your pie will turn out soggy).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season zucchini and squash with salt and pepper. Saute the squash in a single layer for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel.
- Layer the tomato slices, zucchini, squash, and onion on the bottom of the pie shell. Sprinkle basil on top. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Smooth cheese mixture over the top and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.
If you like this recipe you may like: