Creamy, fluffy, homemade (Frog Eye) Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad.
I’m sure many of you know this salad as the one that your grandmother brought to family parties. It’s super old school, but some of those old school recipes will always be classics, am I right?! But, can we all agree that “Frog Eye Salad” is the worst name ever? Totally makes me laugh. The last thing I want to be thinking when I’m eating this is “ooh, those acini de pepes are just like little frog eyes!”. I don’t know who came up with the name but It’s so weird! Did you grow up calling this “Frog Eye” Salad or something else? We called it Acini de Pepe Fruit Salad.
Well, whatever you called it, this bowl of fluffy, fruity goodness is the best! It’s basically dessert. Not a salad at all. But who am I to put up a fight when a big bowl of dessert is served as a side dish? The traditional version of this salad uses a container of thawed cool whip, but I used freshly whipped cream instead and it made the biggest difference. Beating the cream is just as easy as thawing a container of cool whip, but it tastes SOO much yummier!
- 1 can pineapple tidbits, drained and juice reserved
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 1 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup acini de pepe noodles
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 large banana, sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Drain the pineapple cans and reserve the juice. Reserve the pineapple in the fridge for later.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine the pineapple juice, sugar, egg yolk, salt and cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Cook until mixtures comes to a low boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Cook acini de pepe noodles according to package instructions. Drain and cool.
- Combine the acini de pepe and the thickened sauce in a tupperware. Refrigerate overnight (or at least for several hours).
- In the morning, add the pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, marshmallows, and bananas to a large mixing bowl. Add the acini de pepe mixture.
- In a separate bowl beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks. Fold fresh whipped cream into the acini de pepe mixture. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Looking for other delicious side dishes like this? Try one of these: