Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash is fully baked squash filled with a mixture of tomatoes, avocados, black beans, onions, and cilantro.
One of my sister-in-laws has been following a vegan diet, and she introduced me to this amazing recipe. Now, I’m not vegan by any means, but this type of dish is right down my alley!
I could honestly eat this Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash every day! It makes a great lunch or dinner, and I love serving it right in the bowl of the squash. It’s not only healthy, it’s filling and full of flavor. This recipe is stapled in my cook book for the long haul–I seriously love it!
Tex Mex Spaghetti Squash
For the Squash
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- olive oil , to taste
- ground cumin , to taste
- chili powder , to taste
- dried oregano leaves , to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
For the filling
- 2 avocados , pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion , diced
- 1 tomato , diced
- 15 ounce can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice , or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to tastes
- crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice off the stem of the squash. Starting at the top of the squash, slice the squash lengthwise, to create two long halves.
- Remove the seeds and guts. Brush some olive oil onto the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place squash halves cut side down on the baking sheet and roast for 30-50 minutes, depending on how large your squash is.
- Check on it around 25 minutes of baking time--it's ready when it is tender and easy to scrape the strands with a fork.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the filling. In a mixing bowl add the chopped avocado, onion, tomato, black beans, and cilantro. Season to taste with lime juice, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Remove squash from the oven and flip over. Sprinkle on, to taste, some chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Fill each half of squash with the vegetable filling. Enjoy!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.