This quick and easy Enchilada Sauce recipe uses simple pantry ingredients and only takes 15 minutes to make. It’s more cost effective, healthier, and tastes better than anything in a can!
Why I love this recipe:
- All around BETTER – Homemade enchilada sauce is healthier, lower in sodium, and more inexpensive than the canned alternative.
- Pantry Ingredients – This simple recipe uses ingredients that are probably already in your pantry. If you’re looking for an enchilada sauce made from real dried Mexican chiles, use this red chile sauce recipe, with beef broth in place of the pork broth.
- Quick – Whipping this sauce up is faster than a trip to the store, AND it tastes so much better than anything in a can.
Ingredients in Enchilada Sauce:
- Tomato Sauce
- Flour: to thicken the sauce. For a gluten-free enchilada sauce recipe, substitute 1 tablespoon cornstarch for the flour.
- Beef Broth: Vegetable broth of chicken broth would also work.
- Oil: vegetable, canola or avocado oil.
- Dry Spices: Oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
How to make Enchilada Sauce:
Stir oil, flour, chili powder, cumin and oregano in a saucepan on low heat until bubbly.
Add beef broth, tomato sauce, garlic and salt.
Simmer on low heat for 15 min, stirring occasionally.
Red vs. Green Enchilada Sauce:
The main difference between red and green enchilada sauce is the type of chili that was used. Red enchilada sauce is made with red chilies (in this recipe, ground red chilies or chili powder). Green enchilada sauce is made with green chilis, tomatillos, and sometimes jalapeños, so it tends to have a larger heat range. It can be spicy, but doesn’t have to be.
Make Ahead and Freezing Instructions:
To Make Ahead: Make the sauce and store in the fridge for up to one week.
To Freeze: Place in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using.
Recipes that use Enchilada Sauce:
Follow me for more great recipes
Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Stir oil, flour, chili powder, cumin and oregano in a saucepan on low heat until bubbly.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, garlic and salt. Simmer on low heat for 15 min, stirring occasionally.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
*I originally shared this recipe in March 2013. Updated February 2019 and April 2022.
This post contains affiliate links.