Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies are one of my favorite holiday cookies! Start with a delicious chewy chocolate cookie, topped with a warm marshmallow and chocolate frosting.
My great aunt used to make these amazing Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies, no one had her recipe so my mom helped me experiment to recreate them. With some trial and error, we’ve done it and I am SO excited to share them with you. They are the ultimate chocolate cookie and perfect for Christmas!
How to Make Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies (an overview):
1. Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Then add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
2. Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the bowl with the creamed butter mixture and stir just until combined.
3. Scoop onto baking sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the pan.
4. Bake, then top with a marshmallow. Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top with half of a marshmallow half (cut-side down). Return to oven for 2 minutes.
5. Cool and make frosting. Allow to cool completely while you make the frosting.
6. Frost and enjoy! Cover the tops of the marshmallow and cookie with frosting. Store leftover cookies in an airtight container, or freeze for later.
You could also top the chocolate frosting with crushed candy canes or a nut. My great-aunt always added walnut on top.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Once cookies have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days. To freeze place them in a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for 2-3 months.
Consider trying these popular holiday recipes:
- Chocolate Peppermint Bundt Cake
- Rocky Road Fudge
- Caramel and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels
- Peppermint Candy Cane Brownies
- Brownie Truffles
- Christmas Cornflake Wreaths
- Homemade Caramels
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the bowl with the creamed butter mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto your cookie sheet. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and top with a marshmallow half (cut-size down). Return to oven for 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely while you make the frosting.
For the frosting:
- Add butter to a mixing bowl and beat with electric mixers for 1 minute. Add the cocoa powder and milk and mix to combine. Add powdered sugar and mix for at least 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Add more powdered sugar if needed.
- Once cookies have cooled, cover the tops of the marshmallow and cookie with frosting.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, or freeze for later.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @TastesBetterFromScratch on Instagram with #TastesBetterFromScratch!
Have you tried this recipe?!
RATE and COMMENT below! I would love to hear your experience.
I originally shared the recipe December 2016. Updated December 2019 with step-by-step photos and instructions.
This post contains affiliate links.